Chapter 33

Personally, I love front seats at events

Personally, I love front seats at events. There is nothing like watching a Blackhawk checking a Redwing into the boards inches from your face. Sweaty basketball players throwing themselves into the crowd to make a save. If you can't be in the game, the front row is hands down the next best thing.

The problem with the seat I'm in now was the worst. My group of friends were going through too much. The only one who seemed content was Joe, and I'm pretty sure the chatty blonde he was dating had something to do with that. Lucas was battling on all fronts right now. Finn was learning the hard way not to break a girl's heart. Little Lainy. Well, she's proving just stubborn of a storm she could be.

When the Lester's moved in I got that cursed front row seat to the show. When Finn opened his mouth, I thought that would be the worst thing. To react the way he had was low, but Blaine sucker punching him was just as bad. After that showdown to go home and find your absentee mother had to qualify the day as the worst in history. Things have calmed down, and we find new normal.

Blaine and Lucas became permanent residents, refusing to go back home until their mother left. Based on the numerous calls between Luke and his father, that wasn't going to be anytime soon. While they bickered, I kept Blaine distracted. Not that she really needed it. Most days she was busy with school work and studying the new plays coach wanted her to learn. I found myself sprawled out on her bed, watching her head bobbing to whatever she was listening to. She was in her own little world. That scared me.

The day that damn silver sedan pulled up in front of my house, I couldn't stop the sigh. I watched for a few minutes from the living room while sipping on the water I had just gotten. He didn't charge toward the house. He was smacking his hand on the front door demanding to see Blaine. He just sat there trying to work on some lame ass speech that she would only chew up and spit back at him.

Before he could gather that courage, I strolled out of my house and down to the street. The white knuckles flexed on the steering wheel as I got closer. The idiot was so lost in his own thoughts he didn't notice me standing beside his car. Walking around to the back end of his car, I thumped my hand on the hood of the trunk before hopping up with my feet resting on the bumper.

"What the hell, Shane," Finn growled as he slammed the door shut. "Get your ass off my car."

"Not unless you're planning on leaving." I tilted my head to watch him. He stopped and leaned his hip against the rear fender. "I'm telling you, man. It's safer for you to just leave."

"I just want to talk."

"This is the first day in two weeks that she's been herself," I lied. "You stirring things up isn't going to do any good."

"I'm not looking to stir things up, I swear." He paused as I let out another sigh and dropped my head back. "I saw their mom. Someone should tell them."

"They already know." I could feel the wide green eyes boring holes into me as I watched the clouds rolling overhead.

"How long has she been back?"