Chapter 34

Hesitating on the porch made my stomach churn

Hesitating on the porch made my stomach churn. This was my home. Where Blaine and I grew up. My friends retreated here to unwind. The fact that her presence had changed all of that made my blood boil. She had given up her claim on this place, on this family, the day she walked out. Flashes of a terrified Blaine had me backing away. There was no way in hell I was going to be able to face her after what she'd done.

The door swinging open stopped my getaway. The lean woman wore a false smile as she waved me in. The perfect hostess welcoming in a guest. Such an infuriating sight. I was supposed to be the one giving her permission to enter. When my father appeared from the shadows, taking his place at her side, I searched his eyes. He was honestly on this woman's side. Defending her cowardness as the dutiful husband.

Stepping into the house, I brushed past the opened arms she offered. It took all my willpower to not lash out at her. There would be plenty of that once we sat down. Might as well get comfortable before unleashing years of pent up anger. Not sparing a second look, I went to the kitchen and fell into one of the dining room chairs. I was surprised to see that my attitude hadn't affected hers. My father on the other hand already looked defeated as he sat beside me.

"I thought your sister was coming with," he grumbled.

"Shane's working with her on some new plays." He harrumphed with a shake of his head. Still unhappy with my sister's choice in extracurricular activities.

"Plays," my mother asked. Finally, her face lost the cheeriness as her brow knitted in confusion. "Did Shane volunteer for a theatre production?"

"Not exactly," my father grumbled again. I slouched into the chair, my arms crossing over my chest. Interesting. He was keeping Blaine's new role on the field a secret from his precious wife. Maybe he hadn't chosen her side afterall.

"Oh," she mumbled. Shaking off the confusion, she plastered on another Suzy-Home-Maker smile. "How is school going?"

"Can you stop with all the motherly concern? It doesn't suit you."

"Your father told me you wouldn't be keen about seeing me. But I only felt that it was worth a shot. As the saying goes, time heals all wounds."

"Are you going to say absence makes the heart grow fonder, too?" There was a flick of something in her eyes that I couldn't place. Disappointment. Anger. Sadness. "People who are in love say that shit. People who care about one another but can't be together because of force stronger than themselves. War. Job Relocations. It's not for mothers who willingly left their kids and husband."

"If your sister were here, she'd understand."

"Bull shit," I snorted. The dry warning from my father shut me up. I would show him respect because he deserved it. The woman across from me lost the scraps I had left for her by coming back here. "If you think I'm hard to deal with, you better prepare yourself. I'm mad about what happened. Mostly because she found the note first. That last parting gift sparked an unbelievable hatred in her. Can you imagine being ten, and learning that your own mother abandoned you?"