Chapter 64

"My apologies," Nanko smiled, pushing his hair back to tie them with a hair tie. He was starting to get used to their length. "It took me a little longer to find the hidden rat." His eyes closed slightly as he glanced at the tied up man he had thrown against the hull. He belatedly ignored the glare boring a hole through his skull.

His hand rose, palm blocking a punch aimed at his face. "Feisty I see," he commented, clenching his blackened hand around the fist. His other hand blocked the metallic arm. "Oh, interesting thing you've got there." He gazed at the assembled metallic parts that constituted the arm. "Mind if I," he gently said, as his knee shot up and broke off the metal from Eustass's arm.

He jumped back, side-stepping another kick, gazing down at the metal hanging limply in his hand. "Hmm there is nothing special to-" He let go as the metal flew out of his reach to reattach itself to Eustass's arm. "Oh. A devil fruit user." Nanko tilted his head, observing the bright red of his hair.

"Who the fuck are you?" Eustass asked, warily keeping his distance. He hadn't missed the use of Haki nor the ease with which the man fought him—like a lion playing with his prey—arrogantly and playfully.

"Good question," Nanko nodded with a smile, disappearing from view.

Eustass suddenly turned around, metal assembling to protect him in a second. But it wasn't enough, his whole arm trembled from the blunt of the shock, forcing him a few steps back. His arm ached painfully but he didn't dare relax.

"Nanko is my name." A voice whispered in his ear, forcing him to jump back as a shiver ran down his spine. He might have messed with the wrong boat, he thought as he felt something he hadn't felt in a while—instinctive fear.

But he hadn't gotten to where he was with mere luck, and in a few seconds, all metals on the boat flew to him, attaching themselves to his body. "Come at me."

"If you so desire," Nanko chuckled, punching the metallic armor with ease. He grunted as the shockwave came back to him in full. "That's going to be annoying." He punched again, not giving Eustass enough time to counterattack.

Hina wasn't idle in the meantime, she was once again engaged in a deadly fight with Killer who seemed determined to wash off the shame and frustration. Just as she started to see a pattern in his attacks, he had become far more aware of her range of attacks. Any time he was too close he increased the distance between them, using the boat's structure to navigate through the air before plunging down on her with the increased help of gravity.

"It's raining." Nanko stopped for a brief second, feeling cold droplets fall on his skin. He stared at the pirate in front of him, the redhead's wide grin not dimming even when he couldn't land a single punch on Nanko. "I would applaud you for your bravery, but I would much rather be eating sweets instead of fighting on a rainy day."

"Stop talking!" Eustass launched himself at Nanko to punch him. He felt his hand tremble from the shockwave as Nanko caught his hand.

Nanko sighed, before swiftly tearing his arm. He didn't give him enough time to call back the iron as he simply threw the metallic parts overboard. "Annoying flaw isn't it?" He chuckled, staring at Eustass' bewildered face. "When you're surrounded by the sea, you should be more careful."

Nanko coated his hand in chakra, smiling as Eustass tried to parry. "Now let's see," he punched with more strength, Eustass took a step back, "how valuable you-" one more punch, one more step, "are to your crew." He quietly raised his feet, and though Eustass saw, he didn't have enough time to react—he was sent flying overboard.

Nanko chuckled when she heard his crew shout and soon enough, they all dove to fish him up. "Well, that's that." He dusted his hands, smiling at Hina when he saw her shake her head.

Crocodile creeped up behind him, grumbling when his fist was caught mid-air. "Aren't you going to catch them?"

"Nah, too much effort, and he's not on my list." He waved the piece of paper in his hand with an official seal. A mandatory document of bounties given to all Lieutenants if they wanted to climb up the ranks. With Crocodile's capture alone, he would probably be catapulted to the Commander rank at least and Commodore at best. There is now way the Marine would admit it was a pirate who beat one of the seven Warlords.

"Let's leave before we're caught in the storm," Hina commented, already starting to oversee the reorganization of the boats. She sent the injured to the infirmary while taking a quick assessment of the damages done to the boat. "Nanko, can you make sure no one slipped inside?"

Nanko nodded, disappearing through the corridor, Crocodile following closely—he hadn't been able to use that opportunity to escape.

Crocodile stared at the idle marine. "You have the personality of a pirate."

Nanko chuckled. "What? Brash, reckless, arrogant and carefree?" He turned to look at a contemplative Crocodile. "So what?"

"I fail to see what could have attracted you to your current position..." Crocodile frowned, trying to decipher the enigma in front of him. "You're strong enough to be able to sail mostly unrestrained. Being a pirate would suit you more, freedom would."

"Are you trying to corrupt an honorable and just officer?" Nanko smirked, knowing Crocodile's words held some truth to them. Nanko was indeed best suited to a life of piracy, but he wouldn't have it any other way—his place was amongst the Marines.

"I'm trying to understand." Crocodile felt he was tiptoeing around something important, because as much as Nanko acted like a reckless fool, Crocodile could feel an underlying ruthlessness, a restrained strength. Or maybe his eyes were fooling him. But either way, he wanted to find out. There was nothing else to do anyway.

"Well have fun," Nanko retorted easily, closing his eyes to spread his Observation Haki across the boat. He found no intruders. 

__________________

fun little story :a few days ago, my friend asked me why I was writing (specifically this story that is nearing 100k words) and the only answer i had was "because it's fun"

she didn't seem to understand lmao