8

8

Kaya’s POV.

The silence treatment that comes from Melissa is beginning to feel more of a punishment now, and I don’t think I can bear it anymore.

I don’t see any sympathy in her eyes towards how much I have suffered tonight, as she just moved swiftly around the room, preparing me for the night based on the triplets orders.

Oh, goodness, mentioning their names even now is scary. A chill runs down my spine at the thought of it.

Melissa clears her throat to call me back to life. As I blink up at her, she spews. “Your bath is waiting.”

“No, I can’t take that bath. Who knows what will happen? Those guys are psychopaths. We really need to find a way out of here.” I want to say more, but when Melissa grabs me around the cleavage of the tattered gown, pulling me up to my feet so that my eyes pop out in fear of what she’s about to do, she shakes her head in disapproval.

Before my brain can think of what she’s about to do, she sweeps me to the wall, making my back hit against it. Then, her arm gripped my neck to pin me to the wall.

“Stop fighting back and listen.” Just as she commands, I stop trying to free myself from her grip.

I thought she wanted to kill me or something.

“Trust me, newcomer, you’re weak. Infact, so fragile, like a sprouting flower. You seem sweet, tender, weak, innocent, and, lastly, stupid. And all your life, that might have been saving you from the cruelty of this world, but now that you’re in it, you must be smart. I thought that’s one thing witches are good at.” She pauses there with her brows raised, as though she had wanted me to reply to that rhetorical statement.

“What? No, I’m not a witch.” I try to defend myself until she uses her other hand to shush me.

“Everyone knows now, so there’s no need to try to mask it.” Melissa releases a deep breath and drops her hand. She turns her back so she can walk a few steps away from me.

“I told you not to go against whatever the triplets say. They are your masters here. But did you know what you caused yourself? A lot of pain. I see torture and discomfort in your future.” Pardon me, is she a seer now? My heart is actually thudding in fear of what she’s saying, though. She seems serious.

“The triplets already called you a witch, and from the way they treated you tonight, everyone in the palace would even treat you more than that. They’ll find every means to find you in agony just so that they can satisfy and gain some sort of appraisal that would never come from the triplets. This is hell, Kaya, and you made the mistake of letting everyone in it know about you.”

Her voice diminishes with a sigh before she turns her heel toward the bathroom. Inside, I shred the rest of the cloth to the floor and walk inside the water.

Mellisa looks pissed at me, which leaves me curious. I do understand that I did mess up big time, but there seems to be more to why she’s angry at me. She is the only one so far in this kingdom who’s giving me information on how to survive, but I didn’t heed it, and now I’ve allowed myself to be humiliated in front of the other servants by those monsters calling themselves the triplets.

I can only imagine everything that Melissa has said. Rumours travel here so fast; I mean, isn’t that how those monsters find me in the first place?

That wanker called fate has just decided to crush my life, and I’m doomed now.

She’s finished scrubbing my body, and I’m glad that all those wretched touches of Kieran have been washed away.

I’m changing into a light night gown when I grab Melissa by her hand and give her a pleading look. “This isn’t just about what happened tonight, is it?”

“You will need a lot of energy in the days to come, Kaya, so go to bed now.” Is all she tells me before she walks towards the door.

A hammering emotion emits inside me, causing my brows to furrow together and wrinkles to form at the edges of my orbs. She can’t just leave me like this, in this curiosity of mine. I need to know how ruined my life is about to become.

“You can’t just leave me in the dark and wonder what’s going to happen to me. Would I be raped every day? Is that it? Am I to be beaten all day?” I really don’t want any of that, not even the littlest of it, but well, I just have to spill it out.

“Yes, maybe even more.” Melissa turns to face me. Oh, boy. My feet remain rooted to the ground at the way she looks at me—so fierce. She is dead serious, and with each sentence of hers, she takes one step closer until she stops in front of me.

“You appear to be liked by the brothers. They can take turns on you. They’ll fuck you all night long, and in the morning, they’ll make you work like a slave without a payday. You’ll be molested by the other slaves as a whore, yet no one will be there to save you. Isn’t that what you like?”

My legs are wooby by the time she finishes.

I’m batting my eyes at her like I’ve just seen a ghost. Imagining all that she said is a hell I pray not to live in, but being here, it’s apparent, and from what happened tonight, I know.

“I was about your age when the triplets raided my town. My brother and sister were killed, as were the rest of my family. Oh, no. They didn’t stop there. Everyone in the town was either flowing in a pool of blood or scraping the ground with their fingers, trying to run away with half their body not functioning anymore. There is hell on earth, and people who control it are these people, so next time that you want to act so brave, think about how much the consequences would be.”

She scoffs a small laugh as she looks into the distance. “I’ve seen a great deal of pain, and I can only imagine what will happen to you. Maybe I’m scaring you, and maybe that’s what you need.”

I am just standing right in my spot, unable to move, not even the muscle of my limb. I appear stuck, and I’m holding my breath.

“Know this, Kaya. The Triplets were trained by their uncle and mother, and you don’t want to be noticed by them. Some say those two influenced their lives, and some say it’s the curse within them. Either way, just live with your head held low until the day you die here. There’s no escaping.” She finishes, and we stare at each other for a minute.

“What do you mean by curse?” Stuttering, my lips let out. The rate at which I’m quivering on the inside cannot be explained. I’ve had visions of how there’s no more future for me from everything Melissa has mentioned.

Her own story is much worse.

“The brothers are cursed. Perhaps by the moon goddess due to their viciousness; who knows? The eldest, the one who’s the Alpha, cannot see well. I heard he is colour blind. The one who followed, the one with the bad temper, lost his sense of taste. And for the last one, the playful one, he’s unable to smell.” My brain flashes back to when Kieran talked about the curse coming back when he was close to me earlier.

What could he mean?

Anyway, when Melissa informs me, I am a little disappointed, and it shows in my contour because Melissa raises a brow at me again. “You don’t look as surprised.”

“Well, these monsters have done a lot worse to many people. I expect quite precarious punishments.”

“Yes, but I think that’s what made them the savage beasts that they turned out to be. Losing that bit of them is enough motivation to become the devil that they are now. One’s sense of sight, smell, and taste can be what makes you see the beauty of life, but when you lose them, you might as well become a savage beast.” I nod my head at Melissa’s words.

As a witch, I understand her so much. I’ve never been much connected to nature except through my senses, and werewolves are creatures of the woods too. They are linked to nature.

As my thoughts wrap around my head, wondering what next is to happen in my life, I am left alone in the dark room.