25

25

Kaya’s POV.

This was the past. A time when I was innocent.

“Papa, where are you?” My little angelic voice beamed into the room as I ran inside the cabin.

My lips were parted wide enough to show my teeth, while my cheeks reddened from the hard blushes. Today was a beautiful day, and I had no worries.

The small me stopped when I saw father in his study room, holding an ink feather in his hands, which he twirled around in the air. I was seven years old, yet I knew he was brooding, and that’s why he was doing that.

“Today’s a perfect day, father. Come out. We are having a picnic. Come and help us. Mother has found a spot in the backyard that is so beautiful... I love the space and the trees, and the valleys that seem like they are at the end of the world, and the fogs that spread like small clouds.”

He ran over to pick me up from the ground so he could place me on his shoulders, and he snickered at my words. “Oh, tell me that you and your brother have picked some apples for apple pie later in the evening, haven’t you?”

I make a sudden jerk of my head upward, then downward, and say, “yes, we did.”

“Then Papa would join you little cuties soon.”

“Yesssss...” My little voice trailed off, and afterward, he placed me down so I could run back outside to go and help mother.

The moment I reached the threshold of the front door, Williams barged in, hitting me on the shoulders. I knew he didn’t know that I was coming, as I didn’t know of his as well, but we squeezed faces at each other and shouted at each other.

“Are you blind?” We said in unison.

“You hit me first.” I screamed at him, my tone high, as I flew my arms around.

He shook his head, boring his eyes into mine. “No, you did it first. You just wanted to prove some stupid adult thing.” He rolled his eyes at me afterwards.

I wanted to grab him by the collar of his shirt, but mother walked into the scene.

“One day, the both of you would need each other so much that you’d be willing to sacrifice anything for the other one. There’s no need to hate. There’s enough hate in the world. Just shine your light, grasp even the dimmest one found in a void of darkness, and you won’t feel alone. We are family, so we must support one another.” As she spoke, my heart melted.

I loved her so much.

The picnic started soon, and father joined us. Williams and I had no idea what was waiting for us then or how much life had in store for us. We were just smiling, laughing, and being carefree.

Mother had wanted to teach me spells once I reached ten years old because my body would be strong enough to take the aftereffects.

But on that same beautiful day came an error—a pain in my heart as we got attacked by werewolves. The villagers had given us up for a bag of money, and ever since then, we’ve kept running and running and running from one place to another...

And till today, I still run, currently dashing down the staircase till I arrive at the front door of the kingdom and finally catch my breath.

The guard turns to look at me, his stern face becoming even more stern, if that even makes sense. My soul freezes in one spot, hoping he doesn’t use that whip on me.

He hasn’t used it so far, but from the way he keeps acting, it’s as though his fingers itch to lash them on my skin. He grips the hilt harder and takes one step forward.