22

22

Kaya’s POV.

With each passing second that we root deeper into the depths of the alley, my stomach is filled with blue butterflies.

Melissa and I are grabbing each other’s hands; the aura of delight is obvious in our connection. When we are finally out of here, I’m sure I won’t be able to thank her enough.

She really did give me a chance. She saved me from an eternity of pain. She didn’t have to, but she did, risking everything—risking her life.

My jaw drops to the ground metaphorically at the sight before when we arrive at the end of the alley—it’s the woods.

Oh, my... I cannot believe this. I’m actually inside the woods. I turn to my back to see the alley, now seeing that it’s a canal that leads into the woods. But I am amazed at how the gate is opened, not chained close.

Our escape seems so easy, but then, when you think about it, I don’t want to doubt Melissa’s motive, so I keep my thoughts to myself. I’d be an ingrate to do so anyway.

“Now, we run into the woods.” She shakes my head, readying me for the pace.

Taking a hold of myself, my legs pick up the pace, merging with hers. We continue to run and run and run into the woods till it’s very dark, and not even the rays of light from the moon can penetrate the canopy made by these tall woods.

It’s dark, eerie, and silent in here, and my spirit of delight made me absolutely unworried.

When we finally settle down on Melissa’s command, I draw myself close to her. The cold here is freezing my palms.

A brief moment later, I stand up and stare at where we are coming from. My smile creeps back up, plastering itself with grace on my face, and I let it out.

I clutch at my chest and whisper. “You’re free now. Finally. You’re out of the clutches of those evil triplets. All you need to start working on is how to get over the trauma.” A larger part of me fears that forever I’ll continue to live with their thoughts in my head. I fear I may not be able to control my thoughts or do my own things as I want anymore without them telling me to do them or having control over my emotions.

For example, I can still feel myself afraid even though we are quite far away from the kingdom. Something lurks in the back of my mind that I’m not free yet, and that’s probably something I’d have to disagree with for the rest of my life.

I walk over to Melissa. A conversation would be better than us keeping quiet and letting the darkness of this forest capture our thoughts. “Don’t tell me you’re about to bombard me with questions.”

I tick my head in an up-and down, “actually, yes.”

She groans as she glances away from me. “Darn, why?”

I roll my eyes at her, still acting all toughened up. “Release those muscles. We are out anyway.” A small chuckle escapes her lips, to which I hit her shoulder and wink at her, causing her to wave off her hand at me. “I’m curious how the metal gate was left open. It’s all weird to me.”

I shrug, my question coming from a harmless place, and I hope that she sees it that way. “Well, you don’t expect me to run the escape plan by myself. I had an opportunity even though it’s a high cost, and I grabbed it.”

“How do you mean?” One of my brows is being raised in perplexity.

She clears her throat. “This isn’t the time for this discussion. Just know that I had help from some high-ranking people. They should be here anytime.“Melissa has barely finished when I jump to my left side.