17

17

Kaya’s POV.

Two weeks later.

The sun burns my skin, forcing me to wake up and sit up. I am on a spherical-shaped mat, placed directly on the ground, just a few centimeters from the bed.

Raising my face, I see that there’s no one there. I can only fathom a meaning: the triplets didn’t sleep in last night.

It has been two weeks since they released me from that ill-fitting dungeon, where my skin still suffers bumps from the worms in there and the insects.

Anyway, my life has moved from poor to agonizing. Every day that I wake up, I wish I did not. I wish it was death knocking into my ears to wake me up, not the sound of the triplets telling me what I must do for them that morning.

“Why?” I cry into my hands. I change my view to face the rays of the light entering the room. “Why are you doing this to me? Fuck you, universe! Fuck you, nature. Why?!” I try as much as possible not to scream to the top of my lungs like I wish.

I can’t even move my neck well because of muscle cramps, having slept in a ball. There’s no difference from sleeping directly on the cold tiled floor to sleeping on this mat.

It’s all a cycle of punishment that I cannot make sense of.

“You took my family away from me, and now you’re torturing me. For what? Why? Why? I just want to know that. Please, just...please, just tell me. It’s too much. The suffering. My head hurts.” I stare down at my hands, seeing many unhealed cuts there, before I touch the side of my cheek where there are sore wounds as well. Every inch of my skin hurts as if it’s been pierced by one event or another.

And to make matters worse, not only the triplets punish me now. It’s everyone, even the maids. Everyone in the kingdom. I don’t understand why.

They all seem to know my identity as a witch now, and maybe to gain favour from the triplets or so, they treat me like a rag, and the triplets don’t even stand up for me.

“Stand up for me? I must be crazy.” I stand up from the mat and sniffle, feeling sick, but I dare not be sick.

I make my way to the slave’s quarters, catching the attention of these betrayals. Maybe I can understand why the guards and the other royals punish me, but the maids here are literally all eyeing me with filthy eyes, yet they think punishing me as well would be a pain reliever for them...or whatever other reason could they have for treating me even less?

I now shower in the slave quarters, but they’ve all rejected me from using the general ones. Although Melissa, being the head of the maids, has her own private one, she allows me to use it.

If not for her, my situation would be much worse. In the shower, I stand there for some minutes, lost in my thoughts as I drift into darkness, wondering exactly what offense I might have done to the universe.

I mean, anyone could have been in this situation, but why me?

What is being proven here? What happy ending is there?

I see none. Well, maybe I should come to accept that it’s all to make my life a misery. Perhaps some of us don’t deserve a life, so when we have one, we are punished.

After I am done, I go into Melissa’s room. She’s dressed up for the day and raises a brow at me, scanning me for a bit.

“You have a lot of wounds on your body. Did you get into trouble?”

“That’s an unrealistic question. You know my situation, Melissa.” And that’s only true. She and I have been conversing quite often. I could almost see her as a friend, except she’s hard to comprehend.