56

56

Kaya’s POV.

A game of chess?!

Wait, that’s what he wants to use to teach me the secrets?!

What?

“I see that you look shocked.” The physician calls back my attention. I have come to know his name as Pete, by the way.

“Of course, this is a chess.” My hands outstretch to the box of chess game atop the table of which he’s said I should sit.

Pete chuckles softly. “I see there’s a lot of correction we’ve got ourselves to doing. Anyway, please sit once again.” He repeats himself and I shake my head, huffing out softly before I agree hesitantly.

“Don’t tell you hate the game of chess, or more importantly, lack the importance behind it?”

I’m giving him an awful look, and while my head still hurts mildy, I say, “because it is. It’s naturally an awful game. I wonder whatever it is people see in it.”

Pete holds out his hand which made me pause in my words. He closes his eyes for a second, breathing out and when he is ready, he reopens them and fixates his gaze on me. “The game of chess holds the secret of life. It hides the very essence of which we move in our routines till we achieve that greatness from our wishes.” He sucks in a sharp breath through his teeth. “You must understand that every creature, whether strong or weak, want to be at the top of something, and that’s how competition, ecology, and other forms of adaptation comes in.”

A small snicker erupts from his throat when my face irks at his words. “You must learn the virtue behind patience, commitment, determination, and more importantly, the goals. The goal is to focus on your goals till when along the results comes. When you do the opposite, you become a slave to the chasing.”

He pauses again to laugh, this time he takes his time. “Haha, I see I’m starting to bore you.”

I want to say no and wave my hand as a gesture of my disagreement, but trust me, I’d only be lying. I am getting bored, to be frank. “Let’s just play. From there, you’d understand better.”

“Hm, okay...” My voice trails off into the air as I proceed to begin. I have nothing else to do anyway, so this would probably help me with passing time. My life has turned into a wheel that just rotates from start to end in a loop, so I can just utilize some of it here.

In the first game, I thought I was just going to be moving my players, until suddenly, I find myself out of players and he says, “Checkmate.”

Wait, he’s won?

“You’ve won?”

When he nods his head with a smile on his face, my face squeezes. It hasn’t even taken us up to five minutes or so.

In the second one, I thought I was smarter until he won again.

I’m huffing.

In the third game, he wins swiftly. And this time around, I’m starting to wonder if I’ve got any brains to make strategic plans at all.

Then, we are on the fourth when I see that he’s almost winning, and I shake the table to disrupt the whole player.

“That’s cheating!” His voice is raised as his eyes bore into mine.

I frown deeply, “no, you’re the one who’s cheating. How could you win four straight games? It’s not real.”

“I’ve known the game of chess all my life. I have learned its secrets and all that it takes. Maybe not all, because there’s always more to learn in life, but then I can say I’m a guru of some kind.” He points out, sounding so sure of himself, and I laugh.