51

Kaya’s POV.

I’m awake, but my head hurts. My eyes remain closed for reasons best known by my body, and I am glad because I felt my own nerve pausing after a sudden wreckage when I heard the triplets’ mother’s voice.

Emilie is annoyed at someone as she speaks. “How could you have been so careless? You said what?” She speaks as though whatever discussion they are having is meant to be hidden, kept away from anyone else hearing them.

Her voice is tight, and I think she is pacing because I hear her heels tapping against the floor continuously.

“There’s no way I could have guessed. Well, perhaps we shouldn’t have underestimated the girl. She is maybe not as week as she looks.” He disagrees with her.

Who are they talking about?

While I eavesdrop, hoping that I still look un-alive to the naked eye, I wonder why my head hurts.

I can’t remember anything, and it hurts even when I try to recall it. It’s almost like my memory is a needle trying to pierce through a wall. Impossible to achieve is my recollection.

“What would you have done to her?” Asks the second voice. It is a male’s voice, and I swear, whenever I hear the man’s voice, there’s a fear that soars from within. It sends chills down my spine, but I don’t know why.

I’m not even sure why I can’t remember whose voice it is. My memory is at the tip of my finger, but I can’t reach it for some reasons.

“What can we do except have her take it to her grace? She has caught you talking to those wolves. We can’t have the triplets’ knowing who we really are, so we keep it hidden like we’ve done for years since their birth.” She pauses for a second, but she laughs. “Act like a man, Jared. A servant will not be the end of us. What do you think she has got to say to the triplets that would make them believe her words more than their mother’s and uncle’s? And it is especially not a witch’s voice that they’d believe.”

“You’re right, Emilie.” The tone of his voice has changed to a much more relaxed one.

From the way they are speaking, I start to put two and two together, and suddenly, something rings inside my head like an alarm, hammering with a clank.

The girl, the witch—who else could that be if not me?

I saw Jared! Fuck, I saw Jared! I saw him inside the woods. He was being all so suspicious with his actions, and from what I have eavesdropped, there’s a secret behind their actions that they probably don’t want anyone knowing of, and if Jared could even be scared of someone as low as me catching him in the act, it must really be a huge secret.

Now, I’m starting to accumulate curiosity about what it could be about.

Another thought lands inside my mind that shakes my being to the very core of my existence. Oh, no!

If I can still listen to them, that means...no! I’m... I never escaped! I never left. I never left this hellscape. He must have stopped me. Wait, I know my head hurts now! He hit me hard enough to make me lose my consciousness. That’s the only explanation why I can’t remember anything else from the woods.

My eyes snap open. Suddenly, I don’t care if I’m seen awake or not. When I look around, I notice that there’s an arc separating the sickbed that I’m on from where Emilie and Jared are having a conversation. I can still hear them talking, but I’m not in the situation to even listen enough to understand anymore.

My stomach is twisting, and my brain is battling for ideas. I must escape. I can’t stop here.

At this moment, I want to curse myself for being so unfortunate. Something always happens. Why do I have to see Jared? I don’t even care if he’s an enemy of the triplets’ kingdom or a friend. If every other person in the world cares, I’m definitely not included.