64

64

Kaya’s POV.

“Why am I not surprised to see you walking in secrecy?” Emilie begins as she stops right in front of me. I am praying she would just insult me and let me go, that nothing more is to happen.

There’s a smirk on her face as she adds more while I lower my gaze, realizing that I was staring too long. “Oh, my bad. You’re a witch. Isn’t this the time people like you love, as it’s the best time to do all the evil in the world?”

Why would she be accusing me of such when she knows that I have no powers?

I exhale softly. “There must have been a mistake, your highness. I had been called by Commander Chester, nothing more.”

“And why would Chester be in need of such a slave like you?” When she asks that, there was a change in her tone. It was as though she is troubled when I mentioned Chester’s name.

I’m stealing glances at her to read her expression, my mind lurking backwards to the story Chester told me about her, when she also snaps her eyes back down at me and I clear my throat at the awkwardness of being caught.

“What did he speak with you of?”

“He just wanted to settle in well, and I made his welcoming warming.” I lie again, and my heart rate is about to quicken but exhaling through my lips, I am a bit calm.

“Oh, as the whore that you are. Isn’t that the same way you cast some spells on my sons, changing their reasoning forever?” As she speaks, she steps closer to me. I wish I could shrink into the rails as she has caused me to press my back against it, tightening and tightening even more.

“I did nothing, your highness. I’m just an ordinary slave.”

I’m praying hard that she would just leave me.

“Well, that’s right, so why don’t you do this?” She drops the glass cup in her hands to the floor. The glass shatters on contact with the staircase and a fragment of it pierces into my skin.

My face smear with a painful comportment and quickly, I press my lips into a thin line so I won’t cry out loud.

“Clean that up.”

“Yes, your highness.” I mutter right before she walks away. My eyes is fixated on her back just before she disappears behind the walls.

Inhaling and exhaling with exasperation lunging at me, I go to the kitchen with a slouched shoulder. Right from when Chester said I should come and see him, I already figured how bad of an idea it would be. And it turned out just that way.

If I was in my room around this time, I’d be safe in there, still awaiting a time of my vengeance.

As I come back to clean the glass and clear off the liquid from the red carpet as well, my brain reels back to everything that Chester told me.

If I’m to even try to understand, he’s just made me reason as to why the triplets became who they are. He’s actually right in some sense even though it annoys my inside so much that he’s trying to change my reasoning.

If I become the evil who crushes them, then I’d only be creating a bigger cycle of hatred between werewolves and witches, because more werewolves would hate me in years to come and they would take out the pain on other witches who are yet to be born. The cycle of darkness would never end then, making it rule in our hearts.

But at the same time, I can never forgive them just like that, not after all that I’ve went through. Not after all the people who have died on my behalf. Not after all my horrible nights in the dungeon. Not after all the wounds which have formed scars on my skin.

I don’t even realize when my vision goes a bit blurry with tears at the remembrance of Aiden’s cries just before his chest was slashed across by Kieran.

My train of toughts is cut short when I feel something behind me. Turning my face to my behind, I see a figure there and squeal hastily, as I’m also quick to say. “Sorry, Mister. I’m just cleaning up the dirt here.”

The man has his face covered with a masking cloth, so I am unable to recognize who he is neither did he reply me.

I am about to shift to the side for him to pass, since he won’t communicate with me when suddenly, I feel a pressure and in the next instance, I’m rolling down the case.

My screams get hitched at each interval that my body would hit the case until I finally hit the bottom. My back hurts, and my stomach is a river of angry sea, churning hard. My brain sends panick signal throughout my body, my hands hurriedly covering my stomach.

When my eyes would open, I see the man’s foot coming at me again and this time, it punches against my stomach. My index finger break in the effect, however, the pain resulting from lining of my stomach is a much bigger pain.

Another kick.

And another.

“Ah!”

Gasping for help: wanting to scream but unable to do so to the top of my lungs: helpless as ever: and powerless to the might of this person. However, I could tell he is a werewolf by the inhuman strength.

He keeps kicking my stomach till when I could feel no pain anymore. My hormones are on the peak and my senses are dulling out, dimming with each seconds that passes till my eyes finally shuts close and blackness takes over.

I inhale a large intake of air through my mouth as my eyes snaps open to life. My vision is inverted, coming to see people running around as though there’s a danger coming for them.

Wanting to stand up, a pain shoots around my navel and I stop to look down at myself. Panic strikes through me in another gasp, as I see blood streaming down my legs but I’m so damn sure my thighs are cut.

My stomach aches crazily, and then the memory of last night’s event alarms in my head like a thunderous storm.

And that is all the push I needed to get myself up regardless of the pain and take myself to the lower town. In my stroll there, I am pained at how as usual no one sees me. They are all just running around to protect themselves from something that I have no idea of.

There’s panic in the air, a larger tension that I’ve never seen before, although my concern is less about it.

Without knocking, I enter the local physician’s room and she speaks from a shadowy place. “Sorry, the shop is closed till when the declaration of the ambush is cancelled.”

An ambush?

“It is me, Kaya. Please help, Helda.” When I say, Helda hurries over to the entrance door and when she sights the blood, she rushes over to take me to a bed.

“My apologies, Kaya. I didn’t know it was you. I thought it was any of those worthless patients of mine.” Because of the pain, I can only make us move slower, “and with the ambush that’s been declared to hold tonight, there has been panic throughout the whole kingdom. These pests are scared of suffering when they’ve done a lot of damages already.”

“An ambush?” I ask right before she lies me down onto the bed.

“Yes, guess the five other neighboring packs can’t hold back their anger anymore. They are coming tonight in an unprepared fight, well, on our side.”

That explains the whole running around.

“Now, what in heavens name happened, Kaya? This looks really bad.” She’s roving her eyes over me like a hawk.

“I can’t explain, Helda, but please, I can’t lose my babies.” My tears are quick to run down the side of my face.

“I’ll give you this to rest while I carry out a test.” I nod my head when she passes a small bottle to me. Drinking the content, I close my eyes and soon, darkness soon befalls me again.

When I awake, my face is situated to the window from where the sunlight shines in. From my evaluation, I could say it is the horizon of an afternoon.

“Helda.” My throat is dry as I cry out for her name.

“I’m here, Kaya.” Holding my hands, she passes me a cup of water which I drink and when I look at her, there’s an eagerness in my sight. “I’m sorry. We’ve lost the babies.” My voice is a whisper.