40

40

Kaya’s POV.

My senses come alive, and a groan is released through my throat as I try to pick myself up from the ground. I can’t make sense of where I am for a while, as it is all dark.

My hands rub a side of my head, wincing at the pain resulting from the action.

“What...” My voice is a whisper that trails off into the air as my orbs shift around to make sense of my surroundings.

Following the rays of the dim light from the candles, I hear a rattle in the distance—no, close to me. Before is Aiden, chained to the wall.

His hands are above his head, tucked into the chains. My eyes flare as my brain reels back to what happened earlier, just before I got sucked into the darkness.

We were taken by the sex slaves. Clara hurled me off, and my head hit a tree, which made me pass out.

“How...? What...?” My head hurts hastily. I try to stand up, but two hands grab me at each arm of mine, stopping me from moving ahead.

“Leave me. Let me go!” I scream at them, my breathing ragged. There, I realize that the heavy sound that I’ve been hearing is actually my own breathing.

The two guards holding me did not say anything.

Grunting, attempting to kick them on their feet, or biting any of them proved to be inefficient. They will not let me go. That isn’t the order they have received, so it was all fruitless.

“Let me go this instance. You can’t hold me down...” I’m still trying to fight them until the chains gripping Aiden’s wrists above his head make another rattling sound and my body stops in a frozen situation.

I feel so powerless and unable to help him. “Aiden, please look at me. Tell me that you’re fine.” I’m literally begging because I would never forgive myself if he died because of me once again.

I can remember everything that Clara and Alana told me in the forest. They want me to suffer the pain of his loss, and that’s what’s happening right now. I can’t have that. He is innocent. He saved me from my death, so I cannot be the reason why he would die.

I can’t let that happen. I have to stop this event from happening at all costs. I must.

While frozen, watching as Aiden struggles to keep himself standing on his feet, even when he’s so weak and wants to rest or sit down, but is impossible. He has been deprived of his clothes so that his chest is bare, and his trouser is shred into a rag that flaps over his skin nastily, and he’s locked within the same cell as I am, except I am at a distance from him.

But that is only a peak of the horror when I turn my head at the sense of presence. It is Kade, walking gracefully into the room like he has deserved an award or isn’t causing two innocent people pain in here.

Behind him are his brothers, Kyle and Kieran. My sight is fixated on them, shifting with each walk they make towards the bar of the cell.

With just a wave of his hand, the gate is opened for Kade and Kieran, and they walk in. Kyle, on the other hand, remains outside. For a second, Kyle’s eyes drift down to mine, and he watches me for a while before he blinks away.

“Please, let him go. Take me instead.” I beg as soon as Kade and Kieran are inside the cage with us. Kade only shifts his gaze on me for a minute before he looks away.

“So, this is him.” He doesn’t sound like he’s asking, but Clara’s voice responds to him.

“Yes, sire.” My face snaps over to where she is, locking on Alana and Lyra, too. The three of them are standing far away from the cell, watching from the distance.