66

66

Kaya’s POV.

My sight opens to the front door of a house, and something about it is familiar. The skin of my forehead is still crinkling, trying to recall where this memory is from when gravity changes course and everything swiftly shifts over my vision.

It feels just like when you’re opening a book so fast that you cannot even see the content well. I could feel the change in the air hitting my face and sprawling my hair around. Although my heart rate is calm, because wherever I am right now doesn’t release any eerie feelings, I am alert for anything out of the ordinary. Too much out of the ordinary, I should say.

The flipping stops once again, and this time around, I’m in front of another house. I remember this place clearly. This is where we used to live together as a family before the villagers turned against us by working with the werewolves just for their own gain. From here did we move to the cottage, finally cutting ourselves off from the outside out of fear of being destroyed again. My mother died here, using her powers to save us.

My eyes are already brimming with tears, blurring out my vision while I sniffle. “What memory is this?” I ask myself within my thoughts, and suddenly, I feel a presence from behind me.

The person’s hand wipes away the tear from my eyes just before it slides down my jaw. I gasp and sharply turn to my back, only to see her, and my eyes grow big, shocked to really see her here.

“My heavens. Mother. I can’t believe this. Oh, my...” I’m losing my breath, and before I know it, I pull her into the warmest hug ever. Oh, my goodness. She’s here. She’s reconnected with me. Whatever this vision is, I am glad that I’m having it.

Oh, yes, I know it’s not a reality. For some reasons, I feel learned. I feel like I understand the supernatural world more, and I remember everything that has happened. I remember my pain, my hurt, and my vengeance, and that I have connected with my witch side.

When I pull back, my hands cup my face and I smile. She’s grinning hard too. “It’s so good to see you. It’s been,” I roll my eyes heavenward, “forever.”

“And I am so sorry, my dear.” She speaks modulationally. I recognize that. She speaks with precision, identifying her wisdom as that of a great and powerful witch.

“I miss you so much. How are you able to get to me here? Oh, wait, did you bring me here yourself? How have you been fairing?” I don’t know if that’s a question that’s supposed to be asked, but I just want to catch up on a lot of things. I saw her last when I was seven. I can’t be blamed for wanting to know all that she’s seen in the spirit world all those years.

Her hands land on my shoulders, and she says, “calm, my sweet bird.” Oh, this nickname. My smile has gotten bigger and warmer. The cozy feeling that my stomach is erupting with would ride any horse without a hitch.

Gravity once again shifts course to the field. “Kaya, I am your guidance. Your mother, but at the same time, not. I am a part of you, a figment from your mind that hasn’t been unlocked all this time until now. Every witch has that part in them, and now that you’ve unlocked yours, I am here to help you understand the transition you’ve made.” As she speaks, I am left in confusion.

So, is she my actual mother or not?

“Are you saying that you’re not my mother?” I ask with a blink, my body freezing in a spot as I try to wrap my head around all these.

“I am her, as you remember. She is the last witch in your life, and the way you have always remembered and imagined her, I appeared. You had a tight connection with her, and that’s why I am here on the good side. We must hurry, though. We have limited time to share information.” She’s explaining to me, but it doesn’t seem as such.

My brows furrow even harder, as I haven’t come to understand her fully yet.

“So, where is my mother?”

“She remains deep in your mind, protecting your mind, reminding you of the goodness she had born you with and of the goodness she had taught you from birth. You’re a good witch, Kaya, and I’m here to help you see that. Look at that field,” the way she changes the conversation tells me that there’s an urgency in her tone. “What do you see?”

“This was where we had our last picnic together as a family. This was where my mother laid her life for us to survive. Well, unfortunately...”

“No, we do not want bad energy around us, Kaya, only good.“Remember the good things life has offered you.”

“Except that is a lie. There’s not much goodness in this life. My family died in the end. I lost them all, and I’ve lost myself.” I frown, trying to even wrap this whole thing around my head. I point at the figure in front of me, who has the face, posture, and voice of my mother. “Pardon me, who are you exactly—and honestly?” I want to know for real.

“I am your witch side. You’ve activated me, and I must open your eyes to our realm. You’ve been natural all this time, and now is the time to understand the supernatural side of your existence. You are a chosen witch, born from a powerful one at that. Balance is required in this world, and you must be reminded to bring it back. However, your mind has been poisoned. There is a hurt there—a wound that is not healing. You left it like that for a memory, didn’t you?”

I scoff and reply, knowing that I don’t have to lie to her as she’s also a part of me, “yes, I did. I left it there for a reminder of how much I want to destroy the triplets.”

“It would only shock you how much the future can be so different from what we always think. Your mind is in the present and the past. Think wider, Kaya.” And now, what is she trying to pull at? “For now, I am an awakened part of you, Kaya. You have the power to utilize me however you like, but I will always be that light in your darkness. I shall be the one to remind your cold heart that it is still alive. A reminder of goodness, I shall remain. Until later.”

Everything goes dark and blank for a second before I suck in air greatly as I awaken into reality. My head hurts, and my body feels numb for a minute or so, leaving me stagnant on the bed.

Blinking profusely till I am able to grasp full control of myself, I wipe away the beads of sweat that have formed on my face. My palms are wet, and the bed is soaked with my sweat, too. Oops.

However, hearing some sort of angry crying from outside the windows caught my attention. I roll out of bed and head to the balcony. There, I see fires burning houses in the lower town, the trees blowing with heavy winds that reveal eerieness. And I can hear the war chants and explosions.

“Fuck, there’s a war going on.” As I whisper that to myself, my eyes scan the room for an escape. Anything that I can use to save myself, and at the same time, I wonder how this morning there wasn’t any preparation for war, but now...oh, shit. My eyes were clear when it finally rang.

It must be an ambush.

Suddenly, there’s the sound of people grunting on the other side of the door. I step backwards, scared for whatever is to happen. Already, I can figure out that someone is trying to trespass and enter the room, and the guards are trying to stop whoever it is.

Just knowing the reality makes my heart race. Why would anyone want to come here for me? If there’s anyone they want to kill, it should be the triplets.

“Girl, you have powers,” my subconscious reminds me out of the blue, and instantly, I feel a bit strong. I have magic now. But wait, I don’t know how to use it yet. It’s not like my witch side gave me a manual or something, and I was still too young when my mother died, so she didn’t teach me any spells either.

“Just relax,” my own voice reaches into my mind, and just then, the door snaps, breaking along with the hitches to the ground.

My eyes come into contact with a woman, and damn, she looks fierce.