53

Kaya’s POV.

Kieran seems to be in agreement with whatever Kade is aware of in his head. It’s as though both of them understand more about the coming war than Kyle does.

Of course, it’s no surprise. Kyle is never the type to be serious; it is never ingrained in his personality, so I can understand.

“We’d be having our heads on the spike just as Alpha Luscious promised if we don’t get Chester helping us with his ships and men.” Kieran agrees with Kade, which makes him tickle his head.

Kyle finds Kieran’s words funny, to which he laughs. “All right, that’s impossible anyway, but then, yes, you both are correct. We need reinforcement and a lot—I mean, a lot of mercenaries.”

“Now, you’re growing older, brother.” Kieran is the one mocking now, which causes Kyle to laugh again.

“And you’re growing funnier. Childish in a situation that requires seriousness.” As Kyle finishes insulting him, Kieran grits his teeth at him, releasing a snarl.

Kade is silent, and when I try to steal a glance at him, my face slightly raises with my eyes roving up to look at him through my lashes, and he’s looking back at him. Seeing him catch him makes me snap my eyes away.

“Kaya.”

And I’m in trouble.

I raise my face at him and smile. “Yes, master.”

“Why aren’t you saying anything? I am assured that the food isn’t bad, according to your mouth. I mean, you’re already done with it.”

I smile sharply—a fake one that doesn’t reach even my cheeks. “Of course, sire. The food is perfect.” I wouldn’t want to disagree so I don’t get punished or the chefs.

“Then, why have you grown silent?”

Wait, is he kidding me? Or is this some rest to make me wrack my brain for no reason? I mean, he and his brothers are having a discussion over a war that has no meaning; it all started because of their obsession with not being able to leave me for the other leaders to kill, and as a result, it has now caused a national war. So, what can I have said?

My eyes are shifting from left to right, thinking of whatever I could tell him, but I can’t come to think of anything, so I’d just say the truth.

“I don’t know, sir. There’s just nothing for me to say.”

“Well, I should let you know. You’ll be coming with us.”

“Er, I think I’m lost. Didn’t they say they wanted the Chester guy to come here instead or something of the sort?” My brain is really beginning to work out a ton of reasoning here.

My lips part, “Yes, sire.”

“You don’t have an objection or...?” He trails off, and his voice is telling me that he’s trying to get something negative out of me.

“Not at all, sire.” I pause for a minute before I quickly add, “please, if you’d excuse me, I’d...” My throat suddenly tightens, causing me to lose my breath sharply, and my whole body feels as though it wanted to collapse. Profusely, I blink and clear my throat before I try to speak again. “I should...”

It’s all a sudden effect. My eyes feel weary and instantly filled with tears at the edge, while my stomach churns with pain. There’s a harsh twist within.

I stand up and try to breathe when I realize that my throat has tightened again, as though there’s a lump there that I just can’t bring myself to swallow down my gut.