32

32

3RD POV.

Kyle drags his feet weakly as he nears Kade, who’s found a branch within the woods to sit on while he sips his coffee.

“I wonder how you’re peaceful here, mute and static.” Kyle speaks out with a sense of pain in his voice. “I feel bored.”

“Well, brother, there are a lot of wildlings in this wildness. Why don’t you go kill some of them, or maybe just chase them for the fun of it? I’m sure you’d find yourself in a happy mood sooner than later.” Kade advises before he goes back to his coffee.

Kyle snorts as he puffs out his lips. “That’s such a bad idea. We’ve been waiting here for more than an hour.”

“Yes, because we are the world’s most dangerous predator. We wait and wait till the ones who think they are predators as well—but nothing but prey—show a soft spot. That’s war. That’s winning. That’s triumphant.” Kade speaks with an odd tone, one taken from carefulness. It makes Kyle brush his hands into his hair in frustration. This is not his forte or his kind of thing, so he cannot understand.

“We are waiting for the time to strike. It’s been forever. My limbs would go all crampy before we even decided to attack.”

Kade rolls his eyes, his jaw twitching slightly. “We shall wait for Kieran to get back with information. Then, we proceed with whatever plans he has created.”

“Great plan!” Kyle exclaims, and Kade goes back to staring at the scenery before him.

The evening sun sets just behind the mountains, giving it a shadowy look that seems pleasant to Kade. It reminds him of the darkness within him, which just might still have the light it once did.

He believes that’s what makes him even more dangerous. The fact that he’s a monster who appreciates the beauty of nature. It gives him the chance to lurk in light like it’s one of its own before he releases his darkness and sucks away that light till nothing is left.

Not even a dim.

The sound of rushing footsteps calls their attention, Kyle hurrying to pull Kieran close to the broken, branched tree.

“What is our next motive?”

“Now, we must be patient. I have our men surrounding the whole valley. The explosives are ready to be launched. Once a firework appears in the sky, we prepare ourselves. The war cries shall begin. We attack till we take the alpha of the Crestwood pack. Once we are able to do that, we conquer.”

“Easy peasy.” Interrupts Kade with his lips tugging outward a tad bit.

“Um, how long do we still have to wait?”

“It’s going to happen anytime soon. We just need the sun.“Kieran’s eyes focus on the orange coloration in the sky and the beauty in it, which is the start of a mayhem about to be inflicted on the Crestwood pack.

“...now.” Kieran’s voice is a whisper. The sun is down. It’s time for the attack.

A sound shoots into the air in the distance, followed by a fire burning at the end of the launch. And then it declines, running into the land of the Crestwood pack.

The moment the object hits the ground, a blinding light overpowers it, scattering the ground with such a vibrant quake that even the forest suffers from the wave.

That’s the first attack.

As more explosives fly into the air, Kade throws away the cup in his hands. He and his brothers walk to the end of the woods, on a cliff.