30

30

Kaya’s POV.

How long has it been since I’ve been locked in this cell?

I have no idea.

All through last night, I was barging at the door, wishing that anyone would come, but no one did.

They don’t care about me, which is understandable at this point, but is it necessary that they also starve me? I mean, I have come to the conclusion that the triplets won’t kill me, but feed me at least.

Presently, I sit on the cold floor, inhaling the stench of this trench. The nasty smell and quiescent nature are now normal to me, and being here for a while has cramped my limbs to the point that I don’t feel them anymore.

The linings in my stomach wrench from time to time, growling for food.

My hair is stuck to my face, and I don’t even have the energy to pick it behind my ears. I feel chaffy, a good-for-nothing, created by mistake and forgotten by my own creator.

In the course of this effect, I can barely still feel the pains around my broken skin, my mind shattered and broken at last by these tortures. Each and every day that passes reminds me of how I am buried deeper into the darkness.

These werewolves really did change me, really did break me, and they are unapologetic about ruining me.

My thoughts fade to the back of my mind when I hear the metal door open with a loud rattle. My breathing quickens, hoping that I’ll be released, and just then, I hear more than a person’s footsteps.

Deducing it’s a female from the steps, I pay attention, “and here the whore is, rotting away.” Alana vocalizes, blubbering into my hearing range.

“How are you feeling, uh?” Lyra blurts it out.

From the coverage of my hair, I glare at them. “She can’t speak anymore, guys. Can’t you see? She’s deteriorating. Don’t even get close. I hear witches have the power to take someone’s life along with them just before they die.”

Alana disagrees with Carla’s statement, “but this one doesn’t have any powers.”

“It doesn’t matter. You don’t want to take that risk, do you?”

“True.” Alana agrees.

I watch as Carla crouches to a height where she and I are at eye level, then she cracks a small laugh. “Damn, I can’t believe I have to do this. Anyway, I have a deal for you. In exchange, you get this.” She finishes by waving her hand in a gesture for something to be brought.

My sense of smell picks it up first before my tongue starts to salivate, my stomach churning to have a plateful of the food. Carla, obvious to the change in my demeanour, giggles and even goes as far as nearing the plate full of bean soup with a loaf of bread next to it in a tray.

“Pl...” My throat burns so much that I stop talking.

Carla calls for water and slides a cup of it to me. With all might left in me, I hurry as I can in my situation to drink it up.

“Thank you.” I say, and she snorts yet another laugh.

“The triplets don’t touch us anymore. They don’t want us. And I went as far as thinking of the reason why, but then I recalled a wretched peasant, rotting away in a dark, lonely, full of shit metal cell, pleading in her mind for someone to save her even when it’s all futile. I remember you.” Her eyes are sending devilish glares at me. Only if looks could kill.

My lips are pressed into a thin line, accepting the insults because I’ve got no other choice. I must eat that food, not caring that it comes from an enemy, one who wouldn’t hesitate to kill me off anytime or any day she is given the chance.

“Tell me. What spell have you cast upon the triplets that has made them detest us? If you answer my questions one after the other, maybe, just maybe, if I am content, I can get you out of here.” Her words are very convincing.

“I swear, I didn’t do anything.” I tell her the truth, to which she groans.

“Well, ladies, I guess we are done here. She’s not starving enough. Perhaps we should come in another two days.” She talks aloud, so I can be aware of her motive.

I wanted to cry, but my eyes are dry, so nothing came out. “Please don’t leave. I’ll tell you anything else.”

“You have nothing else to offer me.” Carla’s vocal cackle in utter venom, crushing my chest.

Please, don’t go...

“I didn’t do anything. I’m the victim here, I swear. I...I was captured to be their slave, so they own every part of my body. I don’t know anything else.” I plead as she walks away gracefully with the others.

But then, it stops. My voice hitch, and I hear her footsteps approaching the cell. “You’re right. You’re a victim, so I’ll have pity on you.” Having uttered, she drops the plate of soup and a crumb of bread into the cell.

I’m supposed to see my actions as an act of barbarism, but considering where I am situated, I’m helpless, so I pick up the food from the ground.

My fingers, as dirty as they are, and my nails, filled with dirt, dig to the ground just so I can eat.

While burrowing into the grounds, finished with the bread already, my tongue not knowing the difference between the muddy dirt and the real food, Alana’s words break more into my cracked shields.

“Oh, my goodness, she actually ate it. I thought she wouldn’t since you’ve poisoned it.”

Instantly, I pause, and, to be honest, a wave of happiness washes over me. Poison, as in, I would die?

I should be scared, but I’ve always wanted death, haven’t I?

“She’s been there for two days now. You don’t expect her not to eat real sh*t.” Carla laughs.

I raise my face at them, which causes Carla to fake a retch. “She looks awful. Oh, dear. It isn’t poison to kill you. I want to punish you since you are a victim. Dustfang?”

The guard appears out of the blue, coming to her side. “Once she’s intoxicated, unenergistic, and languid, you do your job.”

“What job?” I cut in there, scared of the suspense.

A look of mystery immersed her eyes, “oh, it’s a common sense thing. I just thought if another wolf fucked that rubbery cunt of yours, the triplets would be disinterested in fucking you any longer. Then they’d come back to us. Voila! Spell’s broken. We win. Maybe they’d kill you, and you win as well.” She is about to turn to leave, but Lyra pulls her on the shoulder.

“Carla, seriously, let’s watch. Don’t we want to see what makes her important? Maybe as a witch, she’s got a golden pussy.”

“Ew to that.” Carla releases an exasperated sigh. “Fine though. We’ll watch.”

Their words start to fade in my ears. My eyes roll to the back of my head without me feeling like I’m rolling my eyes. Suddenly, I feel high-spirited, until again, my energy dims like a lantern turning off.

I blink profusely, not wanting to zoom into the cloud, but I can’t help it. My head is like a fuzzy, cozy bed of fog that my brain lies on.

The last thing I hear is the gate opening, and my vision sees Dustfang taking off his trousers.