62

62

Kaya’s POV.

It is late in the night, and I am still contemplating whether I should go to the fountain or not. “I don’t trust that man.” I say to myself as though I was talking to someone. I actually don’t know what to do at this point, because there’s a conflict inside me.

As much as a part of me wants to go, the other one doesn’t trust the man. He is a confusion to my senses as a witch. I can smell magic on him, but as well, I know he’s not a wizard or anything relating to a mage. He’s an ordinary wolf in his true form, so it is indeed conflicting.

The moon is already shining bright and the wind is howling with cold every now and then. With every puff of the breeze is a chilling sensation. I am at the balcony and although, I am wearing a shirt made with wolf’s fur, I can still feel the little bit of cold seeping in. With the glove in my hands, I rub my hands together and blow out a smoke of cold air through my breath.

“Well, that man doesn’t seem like he’d hurt me anyway.”

I mean, I may not know him from anywhere, but he didn’t seem like someone who would hurt me, so I think I can just trust enough to go to meet him. He said he wanted to discuss some things with me, and I’m also curious to know whatever it is. Maybe it could be of help to me...“or it could make you regret yourself.”

My subconscious jumps in, making me part my lips and my teeth gnashes against each other from the coolness. Taking in a heavy breath, I make my way out of the room. I’ve contemplated enough. It is rather time I just go there and get to know whatever he has in store for me.

Within a short time, I have arrived at the compound and making my way to the fountain. My eyes are darting around as I walk, my senses heightened for any sense of danger but I can’t see anything out of place. The trees are blowing in the direction of the wind, and the dirt on the ground remain stagnant until there’s any soft wind, blowing past. Everything seems of normalcy.

My sight soon rests on Chester and my chest finally is free from the fast thudding of my heart beat. “You seem scared.” He speaks as he welcomes me to take a sit on the curb fixed to the wall next to the flowerbeds, and across from it is the fountain. The water, splashing helps to make our presence here unnoticeable and our voice inaudible. This is perfect place to have a probate conversation, also it seems safe.

My eyes have scanned around to see if there’s anything around that I can use to defend myself in case I am wrong, and I have seen quite some things to attack him just if he misbehaves. I won’t risk my life for a piece of an information, even though I’m so curious to begin the conversation he’s got for us.

I’m still uneasy around him which he notices, because he says, “you seem unfree. I’d plead with you to be. There’s no cause for alarm. By the way, I must say that you’re good with you making your way here without being caught. I know about your many times of trying to escape, so I’m not very surprised.” He tells me which makes me laugh within.

He is good with the way he compliments you even when what you did should be frowned upon by any werewolf, and a commander at that, whom I thought would be as cruel as the triplets. Well, I am yet to believe that this is really who he is. It could be a facade.

“And you seem to hear a lot of rumours.”

“I have lots of birds.”

“Did they tell you not to go straight to the point but waste my time here?” I say and retain my gaze with his. He blinks his eyes, breaking the eye contact.

“Wow. You’ve grown very strong.”

“You speak like you know me.”

“Magic knows magic. I am made with magic, as are you, so I don’t think we are different.” He narrates to me, to which I am speechless for some time. He is made of magic? What does that mean? Is he like the physician Pete, a friend of Aiden’s?

I am bewildered and I don’t need to hide it.

“Pardon me.”

“You are, of course.” He is waiting for me to speak again, but I don’t know what to say. After a few seconds, he continues, “are you ready to listen to me?”

I nod my head. “yes. I want to know exactly who you are and how you seem to know quite some things about witches and wizards.” He seems like he knows a lot about the mage world, and he doesn’t strike me as anyone who likes witches or wizards, so how could he have known? Is it so that he could hurt us?

He smiles, as he begins. “The triplets are cursed for a reason. The triplets, including every society of werewolf and she-wolf hate witches for a reason. You are punished for a reason. It all started from a long time ago. This is a story that witches like you don’t know anything of, hence giving you the impression that everything that a witch does is of good but when a creature has the power to bring balance to a world, what happens when some of them chose not to?” Is he asking me that?

I shrug, as I don’t know what to say. “How do you mean? Witches are good. We are good. We would never hurt anyone.” I try to defend and he’s only laughing.

“I can see it in your eyes that you do believe what you just said but there’s something you’re not paying attention to. I saw it this evening. You hate the triplets. You want to crush them. Your heart rate says so when you saw them with the whore I brought over. They captured you all these while. You can’t tell me you don’t want to go all evil at them when you gain your powers, or that you don’t want to be their undoing?” He questions with questions that I cannot answer.

To be honest, I want to crush them. I want to go all rampage on the kingdoms. I want to kill everyone right after I have made them suffer for all the things they’ve made me go through. I never asked for them.

“If they suffer, it’s because they caused it. They gave birth to the evil.” I am looking at the flowers when I speak, unable to face Chester. “I should leave.” I want to stand but he pats where I was sitting, gesturing for me to sit again.

I have no idea why but without a word from him, my body agrees and sits back. “The truth is a hard thing to discuss. We are all hypocrites who speak of things like they are nothing until they happen to us. Everyone is of good until something causes their evilness.” He pauses and adds after a while, “think of this, if you become evil and destroy everyone, what happens? Another being soars up and fights you too. Have you ever imagined why light and dark always fight?”

He’s still talking and I am carefully listening without even realizing. “Because light becomes dark at some point, and dark becomes light at some point. The point where light becomes dark is a breaking point, after being pushed to the end of the wall and it retaliates. And dark becomes light when it regrets it’s actions and wishes for absolution, for a cleansing of its sins.”

I clear my throat. “Why are you telling me these things?”

He smiles. “Because there are things that you don’t understand. When I arrived here and sensed you, I knew instantly that you’d be our undoing, but before it gets to that state, I shall like to tell you a story. A story of how three perfect and pure souls become cursed and barbaric, and how there are many forces in this world which blinds us to the wickedness that we inflict on others.”

He is being very serious with the way he’s speaking. “You don’t understand that this thing is a cycle of imperfection. Evil makes evil punish good so that good becomes evil, and it continues to reign.”

I’m frowning hard as I listen to Chester. He is very different from who I thought he would be when the triplets first spoke of him. As much as I have fixed my mind on my vengeance, I still want to listen to him, and that’s what I did, as I pay attention to his next words. My body is suddenly calm and soothed.