💖 Chapter 16💖

Chapter 16

Chief Adeoye woke up in bed only to find out his wife whom he went to bed with was no longer there. He knew there only place she could have gone to was the kitchen, especially when she was feeling really guilty about something. He got up and headed towards the kitchen where he heard silent sobs. He dragged his feet in letting out a sigh that showed he was tired, still feeling sleepy and would as well like to return back to bed.

"Honey" he called out to his wife whose head was on the kitchen counter. She raised her head, now cleaning her tears.

"What are you doing awake?"

"Mo ṣe àkíyèsí pé o sí ní ibusun re,ni mo se wa fa o dide pẹlu mi (I noticed you weren't In bed so I came to drag you along with me)"

"Mo ko wa láti mu omi (I only came to get water to drink)"

"And where is the water?" He busted in English, "And the tears? We both know the only thing that can make you come into the kitchen at night is  when you're feeling guilty about something."

"I'm not... I'm not feeling guilty about anything. I'm just sad about the burial and I'm simply putting myself in Ebun's parent's shoe. Can you imagine how they'll feel right now after burying their only child? What should I feel guilty about?"
"Maybe about embarrassing yourself in public and disrupting that poor girl's burial"

"It wasn't my fault, those people made me do it"

"What really happened? I know you don't want to say anything about it but I'm interested in knowing. I was talking to the woman's husband when we heard the argument."

"How do you know the husband?"
"He was formerly a principal at the government school. He's a good man"

"Well i dislike his daughter. I didn't even mean to bring her mother into it. I swear I didn't mean it," she closed her eyes in tears then she sniffled. "But it only proved that the apple didn't fall far from the tree" she then wiped the tears off with her fingers.

"In order words, you feel guilty for insulting the mother"

"She insulted me, she called me a Chihuahua! All because I said her kind are usually treacherous"

"Her kind? I never knew you to be tribalistic"
"I guess hating that girl is provoking a lot attitude in me, attitude I don't like and it's annoying!" She cried. "Oko mi, you know me, I'm not this person but that girl. I'm just really scared"

"Of what?"

"I don't want Mide getting married to her"

"You heard your son the other day, he doesn't like her"

"I'm still worried, deep down I just feel like .... What if she..."

"What if then? I have tried to choose career pursuit for Ayomide, among other things and it had managed to put a rift between us. The truth is, I am tired! If Mide wants to get married to anyone, he should. My hands are off"

"Don't say that! How can our son get married to an ordinary Keke driver, Keke driver Lasan lasan, Olorun maje! (God forbid) How will I look at my friends on his wedding day?"  She cried and her husband hugged her.
"It's okay."

Fortunate heard the cock crow for the third time that morning then she heard a tap on her leg but she ignored it. This was followed by a more violent and painful one which jerked her up from her sleep.

"Why are you always sleeping like your father?" She hissed and Fortunate raised her two hands up. "I'm awake, I'm awake"

"No wake oh, na for ground you for land" she threatened and Fortunate sat up fighting with the sleep in her eyes.