💖Chapter 23💖

Chapter 23

Mide opened his eyes very early in the morning to find himself still seated on the ground with Kike sleeping against his shoulder. He gently moved away then carried her in his arms placing her in bed before going to the bathroom to ease himself.

He returned staring at her. "Shit" he muttered on remembering the kiss then he shut his eyes. He didn't want to lead anyone on especially when he wasn't mentally ready to start up any relationship yet.

How am I going to to tell her off? He thought to himself.

Fortunate entered into her parent's room fifteen minutes after morning devotion. She found her father alone in the room all dressed up as though he was going out. "Papa good morning" "Good morning my dear? How was your night?"

"It was... Fine. Where are you going to and where's Mama?"

"Outside, we are going to the farm,"
"Dad we already paid in advance"

"We're just taking a couple stroll. We're not going to work"

"Are you sure you don't have hoes hidden in your bag somewhere?" She asked and he laughed. "We won't take long my dear, just a little field observation and we'll be back before you say complete the first stanza of the Nigerian anthem"

"Arise o' compatriots" Fortunate began the first line which made her father bust out in laughter. "What do you think your mother will like to have as an anniversary gift?" He asked Fortunate and she laughed.

"Don't ask me oh. I'm also lost here oh, I've been thinking of the perfect gift to give the both of you, especially her. If there's anyone you should ask, it should be Dera. She knows Mom even more than me"

"I already asked her, I don't want to disappoint your mother. I want that day to be perfect"

"It will be"

Mide watched as Kike's eyes slowly opened. She stifled a small yawn then she smiled on seeing Mide sitting in bed. "Morning baby" she greeted sitting up then she leaned in for a kiss and Mide bowed his head.

Then he looked away.

"I'm sorry" he apologized and Kike shrugged, "I don't understand.... I thought...."

"I'm sorry if I had left an impression that we're.... but I... Kike I'm not ready yet, I'm not ready to start something I can't finish. I don't want to hurt you in return."

"I can help you Mide" she placed her palm against both his cheek. "We can work through this"

"I won't be able to reciprocate the love you have for me. Just give me time"

Kike almost rolled her eyes, just when she thought she had won.  Mide didn't even give her time to flaunt him!

"I understand" she faked a smile, "I really do understand you and I'm not going to push." Mide sighed in relief. "Oh thank you! I thought you'll be angry."

"Why will I be? I'm famished, what's to eat?"

Orji stopped by at the house that morning. The only reason he came was because his father had requested his presence. He was quite disappointed to find out he wasn't home, he was completely filled with joy when he found out Mercy had gone out with her mother to have the pregnancy test done.
In other to while away time,  he sat in the sitting room with Fortunate and Dera making anniversary plans . Besides he needed to get his thoughts off Charlotte for a moment and the conversation managed to make him forget.

"There's this hat that Mama saw one time in the market. The price chased us away" Dera pointed out,
"They would have bought the hat already about what's this one saying?" Fortunate asked, "In summary, a hat is one of the things Mama wants especially the one that the general overseers wife always wear but you can settle for turbans. Mummy loves turbans too"