38. Forgiving

Manik came back after his call and saw the atmosphere quiet odd but went to Cabir who was still staring at the phone.

"What happened...??" He asked with a frown and checked the mobile. His eyes widened and looked at Mukthi.

"Care to explain...??" Cabir asked gritting his teeth while Manik's eyes held tears.

"Manik...Cabir...Relax...I wanted to tell you guys...and that's why I called you all here..." Mukthi tried to say. Abhi and others joined them sensing the brewing tension.

"What happened...??" Abhi asked and went beside Mukthi.

"When were you planning to tell us Mukthi...?? After settling with your husband in the US...??" Cabir asked slowly while other gasped in shock hearing that.

"What...!?" Dhruv and Aliya exclaimed while Manik was still unable form his words and was just staring at them. Dhruv took the mobile from Manik and read the message which said 'DEAR Mrs. MUKTHI ABHIMANYU MURTHY, Your American Visa Application has been processed and you will be notified for further steps.'

"Guys...Please...Let us explain..." Abhi pleaded.

"What's there to explain...??" Cabir shouted while Manik tapped his shoulder lightly to calm down.

He wiped his tears before they could roll down and then said "Go on Mukthi...What have you prepared...??"

"Manik please...The thing is...Abhi has got a new US based project which will run for a minimum of 3 years and can extend to 5 years...He must leave and there are less chances for him to come back in the next 3 years...He said he can't live without me and wants me to accompany him...Even I felt the same...I can't bear a long distance relationship...We tried for dependent visa but it was not possible since his is a work permit...and it must be his wife or parents for dependent visa...and we had to have a registered marriage...Just to process the visa...It was...It was just a formality and a signature for us..." She explained with tears, unable to bear the accusing eyes of her friends, and Abhi rubbed her back to calm her down.

"Formality...?? Ohh...It's a new thing for us..." Cabir said sarcastically.

Just then Navya entered and understood that something is seriously wrong since the environment is so silent unlike their party evenings. She raised her eyebrows mouthing 'What happened...??' to Nandini but she nodded in a no and they stayed silent.

Manik sighed and asked "Mukthi...Do you remember how you ran into my arms and cried when Abhi applied sindhoor on your maang...?? How you discussed with us before giving a chance to Abhi...?? And now...Your marriage has become just a formality...and a signature...!! By the way, who has done the witness signature...??"

"H...His friends..." She said bending her head down.

Manik released a painful chuckle and said "Wonderful...His friends know about your so called formality but we, your friends, doesn't know that you will be leaving with him and will not be returning for 3 to 5 years...!!"

"Manik..." Mukthi tried to say something but he showed his hand to stop.

"It's fine Mukthi...I'm sorry Cabir...It was supposed to be a happy evening but I think we should leave...Anyways, congrats Abhi...All the best for your future..." Manik said forwarding his hand to Abhi while he awkwardly shook it and Mukthi was shedding tears silently.

He then looked at Nandini and she too turned to leave behind him. Manik walked towards the door but she came a step back and said to Abhi "It was not expected from you Bhai...You are the only relation I have...and I thought you will share everything with me...But no..."