5. FIRST Year

After Manik and Nandini joined others, he signaled her to leave and she left silently. Manik also bid bye to evreyone as he knew they would definitely shoot some questions at him which he don't want to answer, not to them but to himself. As soon as Manik left, Mukthi said in frustration "What the hell is going on guys..?? Why no one is asking Manik..?? And yeh chupa chupi kyun khel raha hai hamare saath...?? We are his friends dammit..why would he have to hide anything from us..??"

"Exactly Mukthi...Why would he hide anything from us...?? He is not hiding anything..." Cabir said in support to Manik.

"But uss Nandini ke saath jo bhi karna tha he can do it in front of us also right..??" Aliya seconded Mukthi.

"Agar karne ki cheez hai toh nahi kartha kya wo..??" Cabir questioned again which made everyone silent.

"I think Cabir is right...Let it be Mukthi...Manik will definitely open up to us..He can't hide anything much longer...that too from us.." This time Dhruv took Cabir's side while Mukthi rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Yeah Mukthi...Chill kar mere sher...Thoda time dho usko...shayad he himself is waiting for his answers...Let him take his own time...Don't bother him with your questions..." Cabir said and Mukthi raised her hands in acceptance mouthing a "Fine".

One thing was clear in all their minds that Manik has some soft corner towards Nandini but the exact answer should be given by Manik himself. Sighing with their discussion, they left to their respective places.

At Nandini's home, while Nandini's mom was busy preparing dinner, Nandini was in deep thoughts of what happened that day.

"Beta...Are you ok..??" Shobana asked keeping her hand on Nandini's head as she was just staring at the food.

"Mom...what we have to do when a guy touch...??" She asked slowly making her shock

"Nandu beta...kya hua...?? College mein kuch hua kya...??" She asked in concern.

"Ye..yes mom...I'm fine...It's just that I saw a fight when a guy touched a girl inappropriately..." She lied.

Shobana took a sigh of relief and said " Beta if anyone touches you without your consent, when he has bad intentions towards u, a girl has full right to slap him right across his face.."

Nandini widened her eyes imagining the situation if she slapped Manik.

"Ha Nandu...you should be brave enough to handle everything...We don't have anyone to protect us...we should protect ourselves..." She said with tears remembering her husband who used to take care of them. Nandini wiped her tears and hugged her while her mother made herself strong enough. They had their dinner and slept but Nandini's thoughts were somewhere else.

At the same time, in Manik's house.
Unable to sleep, he went to his parents' room which he rarely does. Both Raj and Nyonika were shocked seeing Manik at their door step. Ignoring their confused looks, he made his way towards their bed and kept his head on Nyonika's lap to which she and Raj exchanged looks. She slowly ruffled his hairs and asked "Manu...is evreything ok..??"
He nodded slightly and tried to close his eyes.
"Is anything bothering you beta..??" Raj asked this time.
"Kyun...??? Should I come to my Mom only when something bothers me..??" He snapped back in irritation and got up to leave.
"Manu wait...calm down Beta..we just wanted to know if everything is fine.." Nyonika calmed him and again placed his head on her lap and stroke his hair. Without his knowledge, he slept in his mother's lap which he forgot years back. Raj smiled seeing him and got up to leave to guest room.

They smiled at each other and Raj left to other room after making Manik sleep properly on bed.

In the morning, when he stirred in sleep, he found surroundings different and opened his eyes to see himself sleeping on his mother's lap while she rested her head on the head board and slept in the sitting position itself. He felt his mother's warmth when he touched her hand. She woke up in the next moment when she felt her lap empty and saw Manik wide awake.

"Good morning Manu..." She said and stretched her back which ached a little as she was sitting in the same position for long time. But she smiled seeing Manik and this made him think.
"Mom...you should have woke me up...Why do you have to hurt yourself...??" He said in a worried tone.
She smiled and ruffled his hairs saying "Jab khud ke bache honge na, tab patha chalega.."
"Huh..very funny.." He said sarcastically and left the room.
After getting ready for college he came down for breakfast where his parents are discussing something seriously.
"Good morning dad..." He wished and took his chair.
"Morning beta..." He replied but was thinking something.
"Raj...itna math socho plz...everything will be alright.." Nyonika said.
"What happened Dad...?? Any problem..?" Manik asked while having his breakfast.
"I donno where this generation is going...How can he do that to a girl.." Nyonika said in disbelief and Raj nodded in approval.
"Will you both tell me what happened..??" Manik asked again.
"Kuch nahi beta...In other campus of chachu's college, one guy ragged a girl and she attempted suicide...She is in hospital now..I mean...How can he touch her like that..!!! He should be sentenced to death...Bloody idiot.." Nyonika said in anger.