Chapter Twenty-Three

"So, what did you find out?" I asked Derik in a hushed whisper.

"I didn't get too much information but..... one thing is clear, three of the main lineup players are using illegal performance enhancers....." He tailed off when he saw some guy passing from near us. "Nick, Jeremy and Simon are the one's who are currently on drugs. I don't know about Peter and Brad but... according to me they are clean." Derik finished and looked around in the library to check if someone is gazing at us.

Nick, Jeremy and Simon - the biggest bullies in our school. Most of my problems will perish if I get rid of them.

"Ok.... thank you, Derik." I give him a small smile filled with gratitude.

"Ashley, just don't do anything stupid, ok? The only reason I told you this because you promised Zack, not to get obsessed with this retaliation thing. So don't make me regret it." Derik gave me a pointed look and crossed his arms over his chest.

Yes, thanks for reminding me. Now, I'll feel more guilty than before.

After witnessing that library incident, I get back to the parking lot to meet Zack.
He noticed a sudden change in my attitude and asked if 'everything is okay'. After contemplating for 10 minutes, I gave in and told him everything.

He was rambling about - how it's too dangerous to get ourselves involve with it. I mean, if they are using drugs - who knows what else they can do. He was pissed to find out that Nick disrespected the game but also asked me to stay away from them. (well, less asking more like ordering) I couldn't say no at the time, so I did what any rational person would do - I gave him a promise with clever words.

"I promise, I'll take care of myself," I said with a small smile before kissing him passionately.

So yeah, I told him I'll take care of myself but it doesn't mean - I'll stay quiet.

"Derik, I'm not going to confront them or anything. I just want to give them what they deserve.....and it's not about just Zack or me." Well, Zack is a big part of it but... "What about all the other people, huh? I heard that they knocked some junior yesterday. And I know, I'm not some hero but we have solid proof against them, we can stop this stupid tyranny." And hopefully, help Zack to get back into the team. "So please, just let me do this," I told him with a determined expression.

He searched my face for a while but then gave up with a defeated sigh.

"I swear, I miss the old, dumb and lazy Ashley," Derik said while feigning exhaustion.

"Oh shut up, you love the new me," I said with a smirk and hit him on the shoulder.

I just hope this plan doesn't backfire.

I reluctantly went to the principal room just before lunch. I waited outside for a while and then knocked on the door.

"Come in."

I slowly pushed the door open and meet principal's eyes - who's seated behind her brown hardwood oak desk.

"How can I help you, Ms Ashley?" She asked without even looking up from the papers on the desk.

"Ma'am, I have to inform you about something," I said confidently after swallowing the lump in my throat.

She whipped her head upwards to look at me... maybe after hearing the seriousness in my voice.

"I'm listening." She said and gestured me to take a seat before closing her files.

I told her everything I saw and everything I found out from Derik.

"Hmm. Thank you for telling us. I'll take some immediate actions against this." She assured me with a frown while looking at the picture on my phone.