Chapter One

Darkness. That's all I see.

I want to scream dad but the words got stuck in my throat. It feels cold in here. My body feels stiff.

Slowly I get up from my bed and move my hands around to hold onto something. It was getting hard to breathe when suddenly the door flew open.

I squint my eyes due to the sudden light pouring inside the room. My breathing starts to get to its normal speed eventually.

Mom was looking at me from the doorway but didn't comment on my appearance. I appreciate it more than she knows.

"Get ready, Ash." Her sympathetic voice made me cringe. I didn't like it when people give me a pitying look. It makes me feel weak.

I quickly fumbled with curtains when she was out of sight. I don't want to worry her. I felt a sense of relief the moment warm rays of the sun made contact with my skin. Ah. Refreshing.
I stood there until I start to feel normal again before deciding that I should get ready.

I was walking towards the closet to pick out clothes when something caught my eye. An involuntary sigh escaped my lips and my feet carried me towards the bedside table on their own accord. I just stared at the photo frame for a few seconds before lifting it.

An unconscious smile stretched over my face. We are wearing matching family t-shirts in the photo. Mom and I are scowling at him because he as always, one-handedly defeated us in a bowling match. It was a great day. Even though I have a big pout on my face no one can miss the glint of happiness in my blue eyes.

It was our last family photo.

My smile disappeared just as quickly when this horrible thought crossed my mind.

An uninvited memory made an appearance all of a sudden. I didn't do anything to stop it this time.

"I have leukaemia," Dad said while gazing at his joined hands.

"What?" Mom breathed, horror is evident all over her face.

He just nodded in response, still not looking at any of us.

I feel numb. I couldn't move or even breathe. Something tickled my cheek and then rolled off my face. I look down in time and see a drop of water on my hand. No! Not water, it's a tear I realised. My hands are shaking and my heart is lashing against the rib cage. It's not true.....it ca-....it can't......how?

"I have known this for three years. I didn't want to keep you all in dark but telling the truth was much harder. There was a slim chance that I could get healthy again but not anymore. Doctors have tried everything they could but nothing is working." Three years. He knew it for three years and he never thought we should know about it. "It's just a matter of time...." He trailed off.

Matter of time for what?

Mom starts crying hysterically, hugging dad with her all might.

My eyes flickered to his recently shaved head. I thought he was trying something new as he always does but now the pieces and falling into place. Everything was in front of ours eyes but we just didn't see it.

My vision starts to blur due to the flow of tears and soon I can't see anything. A minute later I was successful to wipe the tears from my eyes. The sight of our family photo brought me back to reality again.

It's been seven months and five days.

The first few months were brutal. I think there wasn't a day passed without me crying over him. The pain of losing him was so bone-crushing that I even start skipping school frequently. I didn't want to get out of my bed, ever. Mom and grandma tried their very best to diffuse this pain a little but it was impossible. They had to mourn too.