Chapter Seven

I ruined everything!

A few minutes later my sobs subsidies a little but not completely, tears were still swimming in my eyes.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

"Ash, it's ok. It wasn't your fault. Ok? you didn't know." I looked at Kate with my watery eyes and realise that she was crying too.

"It's ok, everything will be alright," Jina tried to reassure me too. You don't know that. But instead of giving a reply, I just respond with a lazy nod and stand on my feet.

I can't just sit here and wait for everything to crumble in front of my eyes. It was a mistake and I'll own it.

"I have to go," I told them without explaining anything else.

"Where are you going?" Kate questioned. She looks worried that I'll do something foolish.

Oh, I did something foolish already. Now it's time to fix it.

"Don't worry I'll come back before it's time to go home." I gave her a small smile in hopes to calm her.

"Go ash, we'll take care of your mom, " Derik respond with an encouraging nod.

They all know that Zack and Raine have become a big part of my daily life for the last two weeks and I appreciate their support right now.

I give a quick nod to Derik to show him my gratitude and then without wasting any more time start wandering around the area to find them. It was harder than I expected.

Where are you? When I don't want to see him, he just pops out of nowhere and now that I need to see his face it's like he has disappeared from the face of this planet.

I roam for a good twenty minutes but still, there was no luck. Don't freak out, everything will be alright.

I took a quick break just to drink water before continuing my expedition. And as I lift the cup and bring it close to my mouth a very familiar brown jacket caught my eye.

I was so relieved and energized that the cup slipped from hand before I can take a sip. Well, I'll take a break later.

I tentatively took some steps forward to get a better look. But the broken appearance of Raine seated on one of the benches behind the stalls stopped me. She was still crying, desperately rubbing her eyes to stop the tears.

Zack carefully kneeled in front of her and offered a caramel apple to her. She shook her head and continue to rub her eyes.

My heart broke completely when I get a glimpse of her face. Her eyes look bloodshot and her face is puffed red. She looks absolutely devastated.

I took some more steps forward and hid behind one of the stalls so I can hear their conversation without getting caught.

"Princess?" Zack called her. His voice sounds croaky and I shut my eyes tightly as the guilt starts to crush me.

"Look, I got your favourite treat." He looked so hopeful, trying to lighten her mood with a candy.

"I-I don wa-wanth it!" She replied between her sobs.

"Really? But, it looks so delicious. Are you sure you don't want it?" he asked again with a small smile which didn't reach his eyes.

"No, I can'th I am cry-ing." She sniffed.

"Then, please stop crying." He chuckled half-heartedly but I can see from here - his eyes are getting watery too.

I didn't even know when did I start crying again but I too can't seem to stop. It's too painful to look at them like this - completely broken.