Chapter Six

Why would you ask something so stupid? Of course, he loved her - he had a fricking daughter with her. But he didn't respond.

A long silence fell between us and I hesitantly open my eyes to look at him.

He looks puzzled. Why is he confused?

"I mean, she wasn't my mom or anything but she was a nice woman." He replied and gave me a look which screams that your brain is even smaller than your pinky toe.

What?

"Huh?" This was the best I can get out of my mouth because it feels like he is talking gibberish.

"Yeah!" He repeated carefully. "Raine's mother is my stepmother and...Raine is my sister." He explained to me as if I'm a toddler.

What?

Oh, holy moly golden popsicles!
So, all the stuff about Raine and his relationship was a rumour. He isn't her dad? There is no girl in his life? Why do I want to roll around on the floor?

"But..." He continued and I quickly returned my gaze to him. "Raine doesn't know much about it.....I.....I never know what to tell her, I'm not very good at this stuff." He ducked his head and sighed with a defeated look on his face.

"What do you mean by 'she doesn't know about it much?" I asked cautiously, giving his hand another squeeze.

He flipped our hands on the desk and interlace his fingers with mine. His hand is so warm and cosy. My heart starts drumming uncontrollably in my chest and this moment somehow feels way more intimate than it should have.

"I never told Raine about her mom or dad.....maybe because she never asked." He replied with a small smile. His smile was so irresistible I find myself smiling with him too. "What about your family, Huh?" He questioned, suddenly coming out of his sleep-deprived hypothesis.

"I live with my mom and grandma." I try to take out the sadness from my words but failed miserably.

He must have heard something in my voice because he gave me a sad smile and squeezed my hand to comfort me. Warmth spread through my body. Gestures mean a lot more than words in situations like these. I duck my head and let the hair fall around my face to hide the deep red blush from him. Where my hands are itching to do something, I don't know what though....something

But I can't help but think-

Why?

I know according to him I'm a total stranger then Why did he tell me so much about him?

"Why?" I questioned. He gives me another confused look.

"Why did you tell me about your personal life? All you know, I can be a girl who likes to spread rumours for fun?" I explained and raised my brow at him.

He thought for a moment.

"Because I have nothing to hide." He replied with a shrug. "What can you possibly tell people that I'm afraid of getting revealed?" I'm a little hurt by his statement. I thought he confessed everything because I'm special to him.

"And..." he paused and smiled at me, "I have a feeling that I can trust you." He finished with a broad smile.

My heart lept after hearing his words and face heats up because he was unconsciously rubbing his thumb on the back of my hand.

I try to ignore the effect he's having on me and gives him a cheeky smile. Even though it wasn't easy.

"And what about the fact that both of you are practically sent on this earth to kidnap my food?" I pouted at him and he starts laughing.