Chapter Thirty

"Are you ready?" I asked Zack with an anxious look while fixing his tie.

More like messing it but that's not important right now.

"No." He said and looked at Raine over my shoulder.

I follow his gaze and saw her looking at the building in front of us nervously.

She looks like a doll in a light pink princess type, sleeveless dress and matching pink shoes. Zack slowly trudged towards her to block her view and then knelt in front of her.

She scrunched her nose with a pout when Zack ruffle her hair to tease her.

He's trying to make her smile.

Bringing her here wasn't easy at all after we told her everything last week.
She didn't understand anything except the fact that there is a possibility she will have to leave Zack.

This made her cry. It made Zack and me cry too. She was mumbling 'I don wanna' between her sobs over and over again while clutched in Zack's arms.

The image of her broken state can bring tears in my eyes even now.

Raine doesn't even have a say in this matter and this crushed my heart further. Only the children's who are 14 or older can choose their future guardian and others just have to trust the court to make the right decision for them.

Stupid law.

It's been 2 months since Zack received the letter from the court. We have already attended two hearings and this is the last one so he had to bring Raine to the court.

Today is judgement day.

I'm beyond nervous and frightened because no one has any clue which side will win.

Their lawyer did play some neat tricks to prove that Zack is dangerous and incapable of taking care of a toddler by bringing up his past mistakes.

I honestly wanted to stomp on his feet but that would have just made the situation worse so I controlled my emotions.

Our lawyer was good too. She defended Zack by telling the judge that he has been watching over Raine for a year now and he is doing a pretty great job till now.

I totally agree. He's the best brother I have ever seen.

I made a mental note to thank Jina afterwards. Her dad helped us to find a good lawyer. Even though she was high-priced, she did what she was supposed to do.

But Zack had to borrow a butt load of money from here and there to pay her fees. He was adamant to not take any money from mom but he agreed after I lectured him for almost an hour. It isn't just about him. We need Raine in our life too. Mom treats her like a daughter, grandma treats her like...... I don't even know anymore what they are. Yesterday I caught them talking about boys just like best friends while they were sprawled on the bed, doing their nails. But the point is...... Raine is our family too.

It's not like we have a shortage of money. Mom is doing good in her clinic while dad was a financial broker so he saved a good fortune for our future.

I whipped my head towards the top of the stairs when I hear Mrs Brown's (our lawyer) voice. She was calling for us with a frown on her face.

Everyone is already inside. (Mom, grandma, Eleanor and Mr Almond) Zack told them to go ahead when he saw Raine's frightened expression as we get here half an hour ago.

I was about to follow them too but he grabbed my hand to stop me. I smiled as his skin made contact with mine because it's been three days since we have chatted properly.

He was really busy and I didn't want to disturb him.

We went to the small ice cream shop near the court to make her smile and it worked for a while but as we get here, frown took over her face again.

"Let's go inside, princess," Zack said with a small smile and then get up before taking a step towards the building but halted because Raine was still frozen at the same spot.

She was gaping at the building wide-eyed and the fear in her eyes squeezed my heart painfully.

She doesn't want to go.

Zack released a sigh before again kneeling in front of her.

"Are you scared?" He asked after flicking her nose.

He does that a lot.

Raine looked at the building again before slowly nodding her head. She ducked her head and starts fidgeting with the hem of her dress.

"Why are you scared?" Zack asked her and took out a handkerchief from his pant pocket to clean Raine's dirty hands.

She just finished her ice cream cone and the chocolate is dripping from her hands.

"People go to plison after courlt." She explained it to him as if she knows everything.

I smiled at her statement.

"No! Only bad people go to prison," Zack replied with a small chuckle. "Are you a bad girl?" Raine quickly shook her head. "And if anyone will try to take you away from me, I'll become king kong." Zack thumps his chest like King Kong to make her giggle.

I let out a small chuckle too after witnessing this moment.

How can anyone be so cruel to separate them?

"Plomise?" Raine asked in a serious tone after our laughter subsidise.

"Promise," Zack replied with a small but genuine smile and open his arms for her.

She took a step forward with a toothy grin and curls her small hands around his neck so he can hoist her from the ground.

When he turns around and looks at me, I give him an encouraging smile before turning around myself too.

Ok, let's get this thing over with.

Authors note:

Hello!

Please support, vote, comment and follow if you like this chapter.

Yours sincerely,

Gaurav Sharma.