Chapter Thirteen

I don't want to assume anything but it doesn't make any sense. Why would Mr Almond be here at this time of the day?

I waited for them to notice me but when they didn't, I just silently stepped inside the kitchen.

"I had a great time." Mr Almond said after stepping away from her.

"Me too." Mom smiled in return.

"I know it must be hard for you.....but I'm really grateful we eventually did it." He said with a grateful smile. "Thank you for agreeing."

What the hell is going on?

"Me too.....but can you keep it a secret for some days." He looks hurt by her suggestion," I haven't talked to Ashley about it...and I need a little time-" I couldn't stop myself for any longer.

"You haven't talked to me about what mom?" Words were out of my mouth before I can stop them.

I have a clue what's going on by now but I refuse to believe it. Even though you can see two empty plates of food in the kitchen or the fresh daisies in the vase? Yes, even then. My mom wouldn't do anything like this. Dad died just 9 months ago. It's too early to move on. It's too early for whatever this is.

"Ashley," she breathed and the panic on her face confirmed my suspicion. No!

"Mom what's going on," I asked slowly while trying to control my anger.

"Ashley....I...we...." She trailed off and ducked her head as if she can't face me.

"Ashley please don't get angry at your mother. I was the one who-." I cut Mr Almond off too.

"It's a family matter and I don't think you are a family..." I said through greeted teeth. "So I suggest that you should stay out of it." I was about to question my mom again when grandma came downstairs.

"What's going on?" Grandma asked and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Why don't you ask mom?" I said and glared at her some more. How can she forget about dad within just nine months?

"Oh, I know what's going on here," grandma gestured between mom and Mr Almond. " I'm asking you, what are you doing?" She points her finger at me.

"You knew about this too?" This was shocking but instead of lecturing her, I returned my gaze to mom. "When did this happen?" I snapped at them.

"3 weeks ago when you told us about the restaurant - Almond's - we were curious and one day when you were at Kate's we decided to check it out. Zack introduced us to Mr Almond and after that, your mom decided to eat her lunch there on daily basis. Last night he asked your mom out and now.....we are here." Grandma explained with a shrug like it's no big deal. But it's a big deal.

This is too much to take in at once. I feel suffocated in this house right now. I have to get out of here as soon as possible.

"Zack was in it too," I muttered more to myself than them. That Asshole! Why didn't he tell me about it?

"He doesn't know, his shift starts after lunch." Mr Almond explained hesitantly.

I looked at my mom, she was crying by now. It was painful to see her cry but right now I can't think about anything else but my dad.

"I can't do this," I muttered and started walking backwards while simultaneously shaking my head at them in disappointment.

I heard faint voices calling for me when I whirl around and began to sprint towards the main door to get out of the house.