Chapter Thirty-One

My steps halted abruptly as I look up and see Zack in front of his locker, looking for something in it.

I didn't expect him to attend school today.

I contemplated my next move for a while but then took a deep breath and hesitantly starts moving towards him. He didn't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary even when I was standing behind him.... silently.

Waiting for him to turn around.

You should give him some space to figure everything out.

I should..... but I can't.

And then I carefully took the last step forward.

His body stiffens when I slowly curl my hands around his waist and put my head on his back.

I close my eyes again and tighten my hold on his waist before inhaling his specific fragrance. And his mesmerising scent immediately consumes me and began to melt the knot in my stomach.

Now I feel like I can breathe again.

We stand there in the hallway like this for about some minutes before he slowly unfurls my hands to turn around.

I hope he feels at least a little better than he was on Saturday......

Just thinking about it tears my heart apart in two.

The court's decision wasn't in our favour.

Everyone was in shock and as we get to the parking lot after the hearing was over, Raine suddenly hugged Zack's legs.

And starts crying hysterically.

He tries to wipe her cheeks but she buries her face in his chest again and starts mumbling 'you promised' repeatedly between her sobs.

We got only a week to say goodbye before she will have to.....

It hurts to even think about it.

Raine was oblivious to everything at first but she catches on to the dynamics of the situation when she saw our frowns.

Tears start to roll down my cheeks too and mom tighten her hold on my shoulder to comfort me.

"I'm sorry, princess," Zack's voice broke.

They don't deserve this.

For some reason, her broken state reminds me of myself.

Maybe because you were just as broken when your dad..... You know.

Yeah, maybe.

It's not the same but it still is.

Does that make any sense?

He was stroking her hair to calm her while murmuring sweet things in her ear.

But it was making her cry harder.

Everyone decided to leave them alone so they can spend some time together and let it all out.

So never in a million years, I expected to see a broad smile when I look at his face.

Is he trying to hide his emotions?

I frown and tried to search his face for any hint of sadness but there was none.

What's happening?

I was about to ask him the reason for his smile but I let out a squeak when he suddenly pulled me for a kiss. He chuckled against my lips and starts moving his hands to my lower back.