chapter nine.

Claudia layed back in her spinny chair, drinking from her juice box. Several students were in her classroom for her lunch break, which she always let them hang out if they didn't want to go to lunch, stay to finish missing work or watch a movie on the smart board. Today's pick was 'The Goonies'.

A student, Emma, walked up to her desk to turn in her missing essay. "Thank you, Em, that'll boost your grade up to from a sixty seven to a seventy five," she said to Emma then turned to face her class. "Remember grades are due! Turn in your work then you can worry about being left on read!"

"That happened one time!" Kate yelled.

Claudia laughed, throwing away her juice box. "Well maybe they wanted you to finish your missing assignments first."

A knock on her door interrupted her conversation with her student. The principal was at the door with a new student that was familiar with with Claudia. Principal Howard asked Claudia if they could talk outside. The english teacher nodded, walking quietly to the hallway.

"Ms. Donovan, this is Anna. She transferred schools and she's going to be in your class for the remaining year." Principal Howard explained.

Claudia smiled at the teenager wanting to make her feel welcome. "Hi, I'm Ms. Donovan, I hope you like my class. You can come in," said Claudia. Principal Howard mumbled a 'thank you' and left the two girls. "was he being weird about it?"

"Almost. He kept asking if I wanted to become a teacher too. I want to be a doctor!" Anna said sarcastically. Both girls laughed.

"I won't make a big announcement to announce your arrival, trust me, that sucks having to stand up and say hi to everyone. I don't do well under pressure so sit right there," Claudia pointed to a seat that she knew no one sat in. "does your cousin know you got me as your English teacher?"

Anna was the cousin of Garret, the next door teacher. Garret never mentioned his cousin transferring schools, but Anna was here and had Claudia as a teacher.

"No, but when I tell him, I'll make sure to rub it in his face that you're the better teacher." Anna chuckled.

"Oh, thank you my sweet angelic child." Claudia gasped. The bell rang, signaling the end of the lunch period. The students groaned, not wanting to leave the classroom. Claudia felt amazing knowing most students felt safe in her classroom, she was often told by her students that she was their favorite teacher. Even by students she didn't teach.

"Okay, my kiddos, take your little legs to your next class! I don't want you to be late," Claudia walked to her laptop and paused the movie, then pulling up her PowerPoint to display it on the smart board. "See you guys tomorrow, have a great rest of the day, drink water, be nice, stay safe and don't stay up all night, yes I mean you Luke!"

"That's a lie!" Luke said back, grabbing his backpack and walking towards the door. "Miss, can I stay for next class? I have to go to chemistry."

Claudia grabbed Luke's shoulder and forced him out the door. "Sorry, I have another class to teach otherwise you're more than welcome. You're almost done for the day, just three more classes."

All the students groaned again, earning a laugh from Claudia. The teacher went back to her desk as she waited for her next class of students to come into her classroom. She used that time to check her phone. Claudia noticed a text from Layna and a missed call from her mom.
She checked Layna's text first.

Layna
Dude, the guy you are crushing on was dorian gray and prince caspian! dad told me about him and then i googled him and he's prince fucking caspian

Of course, that's where Claudia remembered him from. She knew he looked familiar. And he also looked good with long hair.