chapter eighty three.

Claudia was parked in the driveway of her house. She stayed seated for about five minutes, though it felt longer. She tried to move, but she was frozen, that was until a car dropped off Layna in the front of the house. Layna said goodbye to her friend and walked towards the steps until she noticed a depressed looking Claudia sitting alone in her car.

So Layna, being the concerned person always she is, walked back to Claudia's car and knocked on the window. It took a few seconds for Claudia to opened the car door and act like she wasn't crying.

"You okay?" Layna asked the blonde woman. Layna could see she wasn't, but she still asked. Claudia looked like she was about to break down.

"Everything is okay, Layna." Claudia mumbled, she sighed and walked up the steps to her house.

Layna followed, not convinced by Claudia's words. As they entered the Donovan household, the only thing they could hear was Janis' records and laughter.

Perfect. Just perfect.

Layna ran into the kitchen as soon as she smelled the chocolate and cookie aroma coming from the kitchen. Claudia threw her bag on the floor by the small coffee table then slowly walked in the direction of the kitchen where she found happiness, melodies and the lovely sight of the love of her life.

Janis was feeding Edward a cookie while Ben was eating ice cream with Layna. Janis was the first to notice Claudia at the entrance of the kitchen. "Hey, sweets! Ben told me you wanted to make ice cream sandwiches so come on! Grab some cookies, I know you don't like strawberry ice cream so I saved you some vanilla and chocolate." Janis showed Claudia the containers of ice cream.

But Claudia didn't move from her spot. She avoided eye contact with everyone, which Ben noticed immediately. "Claudia? What's wrong? What happened?" Ben set aside his ice cream and walked to her in a hurry.

Once Janis heard Ben, she turned off her music, Edward frowned and Layna listened to a dejected Claudia explain what had happened.

"I . . . I can't see my kids anymore, I got fired," Claudia said, pausing to look at her mom, "I'm sorry."

Janis silently gasped. It didn't make sense, her daughter was the best at her job and she just gets fired? It seemed like a bizarre dream. The older woman ran to her daughter and took her into her arms. As soon as Claudia felt Janis hug her, the blonde woman broke down into tears. She felt like all her happiness had been drained from her, she had nothing left.

"Claudia, honey, I got you. I'm here," Janis stroked Claudia's hair to try to calm her, but all she could hear was Claudia's cries, "you wanna go up to your room? Come on, sweets, let's go."

Janis turned her attention to her family. "Give us a moment," she said as she led the crying girl out the kitchen and up the stairs.

Right now, Claudia needed her mom more than ever and Janis wasn't planning on leaving anytime soon. If it meant she had to take days off work to make Claudia not feel alone, then Janis would gladly call in.

As the days went by, Ben tried his best to be there for Claudia. She barely spoke to him or even sent him a message. Technically speaking, she barely spoke to anyone. She hardly left her room, only to grab food or go to the bathroom. A happy cheery Claudia was replaced by the most sad version of herself. It was starting to worry Ben, mostly Janis since she had experienced a sad Claudia when her student had passed away.

One day after a successful day of shooting The Punisher series, Ben immediately drove to the Donovan household. He found himself knocking several times on Claudia's bedroom door, but he got no answer.

"I'm going to open the door now, if that's okay with you . . . " he announced then turned the knob. He was met by the sight of Claudia laying on her bed, staring out of her window with a blanket wrapped around her body.

Once he entered her room, he closed the door behind him and walked towards her. "Hey, how are you?" He said lowly.

She didn't respond. She continued to stare put the window and adjust the blanket on her shoulders.

"Okay . . I just wanted to see you, that's all. Janis said I could stay the night, but I have to be in Atlanta for a few days, remember I told you?" Ben said to her.

He did mention the short trip to Atlanta he would be taking, but he still reminded her everyday that he came to visit.

Claudia looked at him. "I know. Be careful." Was all she said to him.

Ben had tried to get her out of bed several times, each time failing. Janis told him that it would take some time for Claudia to get out of her room. At least the crying had stopped after a week. But then came the loss of appetite, lack of social interaction and sunlight. (Janis was sure Claudia was having trouble sleeping too.)

"I'll see you in a couple of days, alright?" Ben said to her as he walked back to the door through Claudia's dark room.

Claudia remained silent.

An: i have been trying to publish this chapter since Saturday but wattpad wouldn't let me smh you got a lawsuit coming ur way bitch