chapter sixteen.

When Claudia got home, both Layna and Janis were asleep on the couch with the TV still on. Claudia put her bags in her room then walked back to the living room to turn off the TV. Layna was snoring lightly while Janis looked dead. Her mom was a heavy sleeper. Claudia was pretty sure she could sleep through a hurricane or any natural disaster.

The teacher crouched down and poked Janis' cheek repeatedly until she got a reaction, which took time. Claudia tried for so long that eventually Layna woke up and saw how long it took to wake up Janis.

"Then how does she wake up when her alarm goes off?" Layna asked.

Claudia shrugged. "I've been asking myself that for many years."

Janis then gasped, her eyes widened as she did. She held a hand to her chest. "Oh my god, I just had a nightmare. I was in school again, but this time I actually went to prom with my then crush."

Claudia looked at her mom confused. "How is that a nightmare?"

"The dress I was wearing was a nightmare. And also my crush, I can't believe I had a crush on Jason Harris. He used to always copy off of me in Biology. Dumbass really thought I was smart," Janis got up from the couch and walked to the fridge to get a water. "Where are we going to eat?"

"You guys decide, I have to change then check some e-mails. Be right back." Claudia said, running to her room.

"That girl needs to have a break," Janis shook her head. "she's always working. I hate seeing her stressed."

"But she won't stop, right? She loves her job. The students love her." Layna replied.

"Yeah, but what happens when she has to start her life with someone. I know she loves being a teacher, but there's a point where she has to stop and think what her life is going to be like." Janis frowned.

"I don't think she'll ever want to leave her job. She loves the kids and cares about them too much to leave."

🌸

Claudia, Janis and Layna ended up in a restaurant half an hour from their house. It wasn't as full as they thought it would be. The place had color everywhere. Janis was thrilled when she realized it was a Mexican restaurant. Once she entered, she felt like she was in heaven. (Her words, although Layna wanted to say something similar.)

Once they got seated, a brunette girl approached their table with a notepad and a pen. "Hi, I'm Lucy and I'll be your server for today. What would you like to drink?"

"Hi, Lucy, quick question. What's the best drink you have?" Janis asked.

"In my opinion, Horchata is my favorite." Lucy replied.

"Then three Horchatas!" Janis smiled.

Lucy wrote down the drinks on the notepad. "All right, I'll be right back with the menus and your drinks."

Lucy left. Janis was even happier now that she was getting Mexican food and Horchata. Her and Lara would always order street tacos on Fridays.

After getting their drinks and menus, Claudia couldn't help but wonder what Ben was doing. He was probably going over scripts or auditioning for a role, but no. Ben wasn't doing any of that. Ben wasn't even in his apartment.

Ben was seated at a table at the other side of the restaurant eating his food.

An: okay so my girl lucy is gonna be played by melissa barrera

smh bitches be in the same places but don't kiss @ ben and claudia 🙄✋🏼

ALSO WHO WAS GONNA TELL ME THAT THE OTHER STATES DON'T HAVE A PLEDGE FOR THEIR STATE FLAG THINGY?! I HAD TO STAND FOR THE TEXAS PLEDGE AND YOU'RE TELLING ME OTHER STATES DIDN'T? UH WHAT