chapter fifty.

Ben tried to ignore the texts from Lucy, but they were engraved in his head. That was all he thought about. He walked with Claudia to his car, still frowning, but when Claudia looked at him, he would immediately smile as if he didn't read Lucy's texts.

"So what do we do now?" Ben asked, putting his hands in his front pockets and leaning against his car.

"I'm not sure. Technically this is the only place my mom said Lara was. I don't know where else she could be," Claudia ran a hand through her hair. "And I have to make it back in time for the dance or I'll get in trouble."

Just as Claudia finished talking a brunette woman and her baby boy walked by. The boy was in his stroller, but managed to throw his stuffed animal right at Claudia's feet.

"Tommy, no throwing your toys at people, okay?" His mom said. She turned to look at Ben and Claudia. "I'm sorry, he's at that stage where he throws everything. Sorry."

Claudia picked up the stuffed animal. "It's okay, my kids are the same way except they throw paper balls and anything they can get their hands on." She crouched down and gave the boy his toy back.

"Oh, you have kids? How old are they?" She asked.

"Uh, between fourteen and fifteen," Claudia chuckled when she realized the way she said it made it sound like she had younger kids. "I'm an English teacher so I deal with teenagers that I have to say no to at least ten times in half an hour."

"She's an amazing teacher, the best actually," Ben interrupted.

Claudia looked up at him. "You've never seen me teach?"

"I don't have to, I know you are."

Claudia looked away, not wanting Ben to see her blush. Instead, she payed attention to the baby in front of her holding her finger with his baby hand. Ben saw how Claudia carefully poked the baby's cheek to make him laugh, which worked after she started making noises.

"You're such a lovely baby," Claudia got up from her crouched position. "It was nice meeting you and your son." She smiled to the woman.

"Well it was very nice meeting you and your husband, right Tommy?"

Ben's eye widened. He let out a nervous chuckle while Claudia handled the situation more professionally. "Have a nice day, Tommy and, sorry I didn't catch your name?" She asked Tommy's mom.

"I'm April," she said.

"Well April nice to meet you. Have a nice day." Claudia smiled and waved goodbye to the boy and his mom.

"You too," she turned to her son. "come on Tommy, Aunt Lara wants to see you!" She said which caught Claudia and Ben off guard.

As April and Tommy left, Claudia felt like this was a sign. She was getting closer to Lara. She faced Ben. "Did I hear correctly? She said Lara!" She said excitedly.

"I did . . . but are we sure it's the same person? There might be more Lara's in Detroit." Ben pointed out.

"True, but we have to find out then we can go home and mom will be so happy to see her. Please, Ben?" She stare at him adoringly. "If you don't want to then I can find out by myself, but you came all this way with me and I already feel bad for taking you away from your job."

Ben didn't hesitate. He just couldn't say no to her.

Then Claudia did something Ben never thought she would do. She cupped his cheeks and placed her lips on his. Since he was taller, she had to be on her tiptoes as she liked to call it. Claudia's right hand then made it way to the back of Ben's neck while the other remained on his cheek.

She pulled away and opened her eyes to see Ben with a huge grin on his face. "Your lips taste like cherry."

"I thought you deserve a cherry flavored kiss. Plus I did say back home that I was so happy I could kiss you. I'm way happier now." Claudia chuckled. Her hands were now in her pockets.

Ben smiled. "Then thank you for that cherry flavored kiss."

An: thought y'all wanted these two mfs to kiss before shit happens 😎

eh kinda hate this chapter but i wanted to update bc seeing all the comments about ben and claudia not kissing gets me motivated