chapter thirty seven.

Ben looked at Claudia, unsure of what to do. He didn't know if this was his cue to leave or go inside to face Janis. He wasn't really worried about Edward. He had to face Janis sooner or later. He didn't have an idea on how that was going to go.

"So . . . you still want that ice cream?" Claudia asked the taller man.

Ben looked down at his watch. It was still too early to go back to his place. 10 PM to be exact. Lucy was probably watching reruns of 'That 70s Show', which she specifically told everyone she knew not to bother her while she watched it so calling her wasn't an option. So he went with his gut and words that Lucy had told him multiple times.

"Don't be boring."

If that meant having some late night ice cream with a woman he liked while her mom was in the other room probably wondering what they were doing, then he was determined to not be boring.

"I would love to have ice cream with you," Claudia grabbed his hand and led him straight to the kitchen, while Edward and Janis were seated on the floor looking at them.

"Hi mom, Edward. I thought you were on a date," Claudia said casually from the kitchen.

"We did. Came back an hour ago." Janis replied.

"Really? Where's the car?" Claudia started taking out two cartons of cookie dough and chocolate ice cream then turned to Ben and held them up in her hands for him to pick his flavor. He went with the chocolate.

"In the shop. Got a flat tire. Layna had Edward's car. She's at a sleepover." Janis explained. She still wondered when Claudia was going to introduce Ben to her even though she was familiar with him and his work.

Claudia motioned for Ben to follow her upstairs with his carton of ice cream and a spoon. "Ma, I'll be upstairs with Ben!" She shouted as the adults with the ice cream practically ran up the stairs giggling.

"What the fuck just happened?" Edward sat on the floor more confused than ever.

Janis knew her daughter's ways so she decided she wasn't going to question anymore. "Eh, shit happens. I don't care anymore. Now put the music back on and lay down!" She demanded. Edward nodded and reached for his phone and pressed play on Spotify so 'Heroes' by David Bowie played. Janis wanted Edward to experience the song the way she used to when she was younger.

In Claudia's room, Ben saw how organized certain parts of it were. Her desk was clean with books and papers stacked neatly while in the corner of her room was a chair with a pile of unfolded clean laundry. To cover that up, Claudia threw a blanket over it.

He walked over to her giant bookshelves with probably hundreds of books from different genres. As Claudia opened her window, Ben picked up a book. "I capture the castle, Dodie Smith." He read the cover.

"I hardly touched that book. Tried to read it once, but I couldn't get through it. Don't know why." Claudia grabbed her favorite pillow and blanket.

"Do you mind if I borrow it?" Ben turned the book over to read what was on the back.

"Go ahead. You can have it, actually. Don't need it," she replied. "come on, the view is great."

Ben looked up from the book only to see Claudia crawling out of the window and made her way to the roof of the house. He followed her while carrying his juice box and ice cream in hand. For now, he had left the book on top of Claudia's bed.

"Holy shit," Ben said once he saw the view of the stars and a huge backyard with flowers planted by Janis.

"It's always prettier at night." Claudia opened the carton of ice cream and started eating.

"You're not lying," Ben opened his carton of ice cream and ate it. "I just realized, why is your backyard bigger than all the others? It's probably twice the size of your neighbor's."

Claudia shrugged. "I don't really know. Never bothered to ask my mom. I just know her parents lived her. They probably bought more land? I don't know."

"Or someone else did," he said in a low voice. "what if your house is haunted?"

Claudia bursted out laughing. "Is the Ben Barnes scared?"

"Nope! Never," he smirked.

"Well if you ever get scared in my house then I'll hold your hand, okay?"