chapter one hundred sixteen.

Edward had a hard time trying to sit still. He kept looking at his watch then at the clock on the wall. Apart from that, he kept checking his phone for any messages or call. Claudia kept looking at the door, hoping her mom would be the next person to open it. Layna wished she had brought a sweater since the courthouse was beginning to get colder. Ben noticed the cold teen so he gave up his suit jacket to her.

"I'll call her again," Claudia grabbed her purse to get her phone out. She was about to call her mom again when an incoming call interrupted her chance to do so. Lara was calling. Claudia hadn't seen Lara in weeks. Nate told her she was sprting out her relationship with her dad since she got back.

"Claudia, where are you?" Lara asked

Claudia stepped into a quieter hallway to have her conversation. "Courthouse. Today is my mom and Edward's wedding. Have you seen her? She's late."

"Honey, she isn't going anywhere. Not in the state she's in," Lara replied. "Janis is passed out with a bottle of vodka in her hands."

Claudia didn't believe it. Her mom would never, especially on her wedding day. Maybe this was some trick Lara was playing on her. Or maybe Janis was never even sober to being with. All Claudia wanted to was the truth.

"You're sure? This is my mom we're talking about. Janis Donovan! Please tell me she's okay."

"She's okay, kid, but she won't be saying I do." Lara sighed at the sight of her friend.

"I'm going home." Claudia ended the call and walked back to the group of worried people.

"Was that Janis? Is she okay?" Edward stood up from his spot next to his daughter.

"No and I'm not sure. Edward, I'm so sorry."

Edward could only nod. Sure his wedding day was ruined and maybe this was Janis' way of telling him that she didn't love him anymore, but he remained calm. He excused himself and walked to the nearest exit.

"What's wrong?" Layna asked.

"Wedding's off. Janis broke her promise."

Janis Donovan was hurting. She was on the floor, the bottle of vodka beside her nearly empty. Her hair was a mess, she reeked of alcohol and she was pretty sure she had vomited somewhere. She slowly turned to her side and noticed a pair of feet close to her head. She looked up and saw Lara looking down at her.

"What?" Janis rolled onto her back again so she had view of Lara.

"You're a liar, that's what. Since when do you drink?" Lara kicked the bottle away from Janis.

"You're being mean. I want nice Lara back, you know, the one who was laid back and didn't bitch about her life." Janis tried standing up, but she felt like the room was revolving fast. As she regained her balance and stood firmly on her two feet, she noticed Lara's stare.

"Let me tell you something," Lara stepped closer. "You're a bad drunk." She said to Janis, who laughed it off as if Lara had told the joke of the century.

"You wanna tell me about about drinking? When did you become such a good person?" Janis pointed a finger at Lara, who put it down.

"You drink, you lose your memory, you lost the one man who ever loved you and now you're going to fuck up your relationship with your daughter who thought you were a good role model. Face it, Janis, you could never be helped. Ever," Lara said as she turned to walk away. "I'm leaving tomorrow. Maybe Nate is too, if I can even find him."

"Good because I never wanted to see your damn faces in the first place!" Janis yelled.

"Clean up, Claudia is coming. Or don't, you never listened so what's the use in helping." Lara walked out the door, taking one last look at Janis before she officially left from her used to be friend's life.

"Coward!" Janis yelled once again, almost falling over, but she held herself up.

Claudia wasn't in a good state to drive so Ben took over the wheel. He kept glancing at her nervous self, often telling her that it was going to be okay. All she did was nod. She kept looking put the car window, trying to distract her mind by counting cars of a certain color. First red, then black, then gray, etc. She counted until Ben parked the car in Edward's driveway.

Before she got out, Ben grabbed her hand. "I want you to know that I'm not leaving you."

Claudia looked at him. She thought about how crazy he was for even sticking around. Then she kissed him.

"You're an idiot, Ben Barnes."

An: had a breakdown bc this wouldn't publish 🤪 anyways I PROMISE IT'LL BE FLUFF AFTER THIS