chapter eighty seven.

Nate glanced at Claudia, who stared out the window. He was driving back to Janis' house, proud of Claudia's actions. Proud wasn't the word someone would use in this kind of situation, but that's how Nate felt. He was proud of Claudia.
Nate kept thinking about the voice he heard at Garrett's house. The familiar voice belonged to Cindy, a girl in high school that hated Janis and also wanted to get with Nate, but he hated her guts.

Cindy always flaunted her parents' money, she was the embodiment of a mean girl. That was the type of girl the Stratford's wanted Nate to marry. A nice, wealthy and beautiful girl, but they obviously didn't know how Cindy acted. Her good girl persona was just a cover up.

To this day, Cindy always asked about Nate. And also hated Janis, but what's new.

"You think Janis is home?" Nate asked, turning the corner.

"No, she's covering a shift for someone so she'll be home late. Edward is with Ben in Atlanta and Layna should be home. What about Lara?"

"She's . . . there. Still won't tell me what the hell is wrong with her. I'm guessing some family issues of her own." Nate replied.

"I hope she's okay," Claudia said. She then looked at the radio and turned the volume up. Tears for Fears was playing their iconic song, 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World'. As the song played, Claudia bobbed her head to the tune and quietly hummed.

Nate chuckled then soon found his head doing the same. They took one look at each other and knew what their next move was.

"There's a room where the light won't find you! Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down! When they do I'll be right behind you . . . "

They yelled out the lyrics as loud as they could. They probably looked like maniacs to the other drivers, but they didn't care. The father daughter duo kept on singing like their life depended on it. A minute later of dramatic singing and trying not to crash the car, Nate finally pulled up to the Donovan household. He turned off the engine and grabbed his keys.

"Thanks for getting me out of the house. It felt good even if it was to punch my co-worker." Claudia chuckled.

"My pleasure. I enjoyed it. Do you think Janis will be mad that she missed it?" Nate asked, laughing as he opened the car door and got off, claudia did the same.

"For sure. She's going to be surpised that you were the one that got me out of the house. I'm confident she thought it would be Ben that would be the one to do that. Or maybe one of my kids," Claudia said, not noticing Nate had stopped walking. She was too busy talking causing her to bump into Nate's back, "What? What's happening?"

Nate sighed deeply. He stared at the woman who was seated at the wooden steps that led to the front door. "What are you doing here?" He asked her angrily.

The woman got up and dusted off her jeans. "I haven't seen you in years and you greet me like that? You're such an asshole."

"You still didn't answer my question. What are you doing here?" Nate asked again.

"I needed to see you. Luke isn't here. He hates your guts."

"Well, the feeling us mutual. For both of you, just to be clear." Said Nate.

Claudia looked confused. She didn't know what was happening, but she was enjoying the banter. Was it even considered banter if Nate meant it? That remained a mystery to Claudia.

"Nate, who's that?" She whispered.

The woman looked at Claudia and gasped. "Is this her?"

"Yeah, this shit is getting weird. I'm going inside where my bed is. See ya!" Claudia walked past Nate and the unknown woman. Just as she was about to open the door, Nate spoke.

"This is my sister, kim. Uh, Kim, this is Claudia, my daughter who just punched her co-worker in the face. And also kicked him."

Kim nodded, impressed by what she heard. "How is she your daughter? She's way cooler than you. Janis I understand but you? Not even science can explain."

"Kim, shut the fuck up!"

An: hi don't want to be mean but
yes <3 if you don't like my story, that's okay, I'm not forcing you to read or vote or comment, just don't read if you don't like it. i don't want to force anyone to read my story so please go read another story if you'd like🧍‍♀️

and i get that this is a ben fic but it is mine also which means i write what i want, how i want and when i want so please don't comment rude stuff about the story or my own characters because ngl that does make me feel insecure about my writing and makes me feel like shit and sometimes it gets to the point where i don't even want to continue writing. i may not reply to every comment but i do see them. again i don't want to sound mean, but i just wanted to say this.

drink some water, read a book, sleep, take care of yourselves. i love you all and i hope you're having a nice day/evening/night!