chapter one hundred nine.

Luke Stratford didn't like working at the police station for one reason, his parents practically controlled everyone because of how wealthy they were. It didn't help that his dad had his own company while his mom was friends with people with power in the government.

He liked being around his wife, Mila, who didn't flaunt her money and actually understood his feelings. Sometimes, his sister Kim would agree with what he felt. Except when it came to their brother Nate. Kim thought Nate deserved to explain while Luke didn't want anything to do with him.

He couldn't believe he was currently in his parent's house waiting on his brother and sister to arrive. His wife had convinced him to hear Nate out. The siblings were definitely lucky that their parents weren't home, they were currently on a business trip in Europe.

Luke paced around his mom's library. Mila looked out the large window trying to spot Kim's car. "This is a mistake. Let's go." Luke grabbed his jacket and headed to the door.

"Lucas! Sit down!" Mila yelled at her husband. Of course no one liked being yelled at, especially using their full name, so Luke dropped his jacket and sat on a very expensive chair. "You're going to be fine."

"And if I'm not?"

Mila approached her husband. She ran a hand through his hair and smiled. "When have I ever been wrong?"

Luke looked up at his wife. "Once actually. You said our first born was a girl. Our baby ended up being a boy."

"You're never going to let that go," She chuckled. That's when she heard Kim's voice call her name out. "We're in the library!"

Luke stood up when he saw his sister enter the library. Seconds later, Nate showed up. He had an old jacket on that had several holes in the pockets. Not only did Nate show up, a blonde girl was with him. Luke didn't recognize her at first, but then he remembered what Nate had left behind.

"Hi," Luke spoke. It was almost like he whispered it. "You're Janis' daughter . . ."

Claudia nodded. "Yeah, I'm Claudia. You're Nate's brother. I've heard nothing about you, sorry." She entered the library with Nate.

"It's fine, I had a feeling I wouldn't be mentioned at all. Is Janis okay? How is she?" He placed his hands inside his pockets.

Janis Donovan was getting better. She wasn't giving up after everything she had been through. But she also felt like a fraud. The title of being sober never belonged to her, she was just like her parents, always lying and drinking their problems away.

"She's good. She's still Janis." Claudia replied.

"Good, uh, how do we do this then?" Luke asked. He expected Nate, but he didn't think his daughter would tag along.

Mila grabbed Luke's hand. "How about Kim and I show Claudia around while you two talk?" She brought his hands up to her lips and kissed the back of it before letting it go.

"I need you." Luke whispered to her.

"You're going to be fine. He's your brother." Mila said then followed Kim and Claudia out the door.

(:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅)

"I remember when Janis brought you here for the first time. I was little, but I remember how you wouldn't stop crying unless Nate held you." Kim said as her, Mila and Claudia walked around the garden outside.

"Sounds like I was a nightmare to be around." Claudia laughed.

"More like a daddy's girl. Nate adored you."

Claudia looked down at her shoes. "Yeah . . . I've been told,"

"I'm sorry for the pain my family caused you and Janis. I knew my parents didn't like Janis the second they saw her. But she was the coolest person I've ever met. She didn't care what anyone thought about her. She was my person. Then my brother left and it was never the same." Kim said.

"I understand why he did it. Him and my mom were never meant to be, I kinda pieced it together. But she has someone now that loves her so much."

"And what about you? Do you have your someone?" Mila asked.

Claudia blushed when she thought about Ben. It always happened whenever Ben made his way into her conversations.

"I do. His name is Ben. He's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

An: more fluff coming your way because why not 😩

and more time skips 😏