chapter nineteen.

Ben and Claudia arrived at the table full of people that were ready to eat. As Claudia was going to pull out the chair beside Layna, Janis placed her bag in the chair, preventing Claudia from siting. Janis looked away innocently minding her own business, Layna smirked.

"Losers." Claudia whispered to her mom and the teenager. She looked around and saw that the only seat available was beside Ben, who was sitting at the end of the table.

"Hey, stranger. Again," Ben grinned.

"Mind if I sit? I got kicked out back there." Claudia said. She knew Janis and Layna were looking at them.

"Go ahead. Here," he got up and gave up his seat. "my friend told me some women prefer to sit on the edge. Unless you want this one?" He pulled out the chair for her to sit on.

"Well, I do like being able to get out easily," Claudia nodded, sitting down while Ben sat down next to her. "thanks, by the way."

"Don't worry about it. My date canceled on me. Told her it was okay." He said.

Claudia's heart broke at the mention of a date. She didn't think he was dating anyone at the moment. But why did she have to worry? They barely knew each other and still the news of Ben having a date made her feel sad. She knew it was stupid to feel like that, but she couldn't help it.

"I'm sorry that happened to you." Claudia said, almost sounding like she was whispering.

"It's fine. She actually works here. Her niece had some sort of recital at school that she can't miss," Ben explained. "she's awesome, met her here too. She spilled lemonade on my shoes."

"Sounds like you make friends everywhere." Claudia laughed.

"I guess, yeah." Ben nodded.

🌸

Everyone ate their food, drank, told stories and laughed. It was a happy memory that Claudia would never forget. But it was getting late and Claudia still had piles of work on her desk back home. She loved her job, but the amount of work her boss had for her was ridiculous.

By the time dinner had ended, Janis was tired. She held onto Layna and Edward for balance. One look at the older woman and one would think she was drunk, but Janis wasn't like that. She quit her old life that consisted of drinking every weekend, sometimes weekdays. When she found out she was pregnant with Claudia, she threw away all the bottles of alcohol in her house. Lara helped her stay sober for many years and fast forward to present day, she remained sober.

"I love my bed." Janis mumbled, as Layna and Edward helped Janis into Edward's car.

Claudia stood beside Ben, watching her mom throw herself onto the backseat. "Today went great."

Ben nodded. "I think your mum might stay asleep for a whole week."

"She's done that. It was hard getting her out of bed after that."

Ben noticed how quiet Claudia was. She kept playing with the rings on her fingers and tapping her heel on the ground. He reached for one of her hands, holding it in his. She didn't flinch or stop him. Her foot tapping stopped. His hand was soft and warm since he had them in his pocket.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

She shook her head. "Nothing. I'm fine. Why?"

"You look sad." He responded.

"I'm fine. I'm just . . ." she didn't want to bother him with any of her problems. "just tired, that's all. I should go home. It's late, but I still have work to do." She faced him.

"I wish you didn't have to leave. Look around, there's so much more we could do, we just have to find it." Ben said.

"Oh, yeah? Call me when you do!" Claudia said as she approached the car with her sleeping mom inside.

"I don't have your number!" He called out.

"I'm sure you'll find it."

An: i couldn't resist updating again :) i'm in love with this story 😌