II Paul's P.O.V

"What do you mean he is not here?" I questioned the Gym assistant. "He is a Gym Leader, if his Gym is opened, he is supposed to be here."

"He is also Oreburgh Mine's safety supervisor," Ian replied with a calm smile as if he was already used to answer this kind of question. "Look if you really want to have your battle you can always go to the mines yourself and ask him."

I was really starting to get annoyed by this guy. He's supposed to be the Gym assistant, that was his job. Not mine! But as I was about to shout at him, a familiar voice interrupted.

"That sounds like a solid plan," I rapidly turned around and saw the face that has been at every news channel and magazine. Ash Ketchum was standing by the door of the Gym with that coordinator newbie trainer from before, his Pikachu and Jolteon by his side. A big smile on his face as he spoke: "We can go together. I really want to have my battle too."

"T-Th-The Saint!" The Gym assistant stuttered in shock, eyes widening in surprise.

I chuckled at both the Gym assistant's disbelief expression and Ash's gloomy one. It seems that the Ace Ranger does not like his newfound popularity.

"Please, don't call me that." Wow, I've never heard someone put so much begging in one word before. He must really loath that nickname. "Where can I find the Oreburgh Mine?" I raised an eyebrow at the abrupt change of topic, but Ash was unfaced as he kept on smiling.

"I can take you there, as it's clear that the Gym assistant is useless, and I want a battle soon," I answered, for a second I thought the Gym assistant would protest to me calling him useless, but he just proved me right by simply staring at Ash and stuttering in disbelief.

"Good," the Ace Ranger replied with a smile- this time, less forced and more honest. Before putting on a hat and covering his face with a white mask and sunglasses.

I simply raised an eyebrow in question and turned towards the newbie trainer, who sighed and answered my unasked question: "As soon as we entered the city, we were mobbed by the news crew and citizens... well, technically he was mobbed by them and I was just dragged along. When we finally got free, he decided to put on a disguise."

He does know that attire will only make him stand up more, right? I thought to myself, but as it was none of my business, I just shook my head and kept quiet.

Surprisingly no one paid attention to the weird group we made, too busy trying to hunt down The Saint. It did help that he had returned Jolteon and Pikachu safely hid in the Ace Ranger's bag. There was a nice and comfortable silence while we were in the city... at least, for me. The other two were too preoccupied trying not to get recognized. But that changed once we got closer to the mines and away from the city, Ash's pokemon came out and his mask and glasses were put away. Then, he turned to me, making me curse internally. Just my luck!

"Hey!" He smiled brightly. I'll never understand how someone can smile that much. "I just wanted to tell you to thank you for agreeing with the pokemon trade."

So, that's why Reggie didn't tell me who he had gotten the Onix from. I muttered internally. That damn brother of mine!

"It's fine. Steelix is a better fit for my team." I replied, trying to keep the conversation short.

But, of course, with my luck, things wouldn't be that easy, the girl turned to me and exclaimed: "You evolved him already?!"

"Of course," I scoffed.

"Dawn I did tell you that the Onix was on the verge of evolving, all he needed was the means to do so." At least, I could count on Ace Ranger Ash to be the voice of reason... even if he was an infuriating fool as well. "I am happy that things worked out on your side too." He told me.