I Johanna's P.O.V

"This is it, Glameow. Dawn is next." I told my loyal partner.

"Glameow," he purred, accepting my pats, as he laid across my lap.
"Next coming, we have Dawn Berlitz from Twinleaf Town," Marian said and cheers could be heard as Dawn entered the stage.

I never pushed my daughter to become a coordinator, I always wanted her to follow her own path. But that doesn't mean that seeing her on a stage and hearing the crowd cheering for her doesn't fill me with pride. Seeing Glameow's satisfied grin shows me he is feeling the same.

"Spotlight, Oddish!" Dawn threw up her Poke Ball and her pokemon appeared in a sea of pink petals.

"Good seal choice for a grass pokemon," I commented.

"Use Stun Spore!" Oddish followed my daughter's orders. The orange spore cloud paralyzes the petals in mid-air. She waited for a few seconds, letting the appeal make its effect. "Now Razon Leaf!"

The leaves tore through petals, leaving beautiful pink confetti behind, as it left a trail of orange sparks as it made its way straight up the center of the stage's ceiling, before stopping.

"Delayed Sunny Day," Dawn called out. Oddish's body began to glow slightly, showing off his cute small body. "Now, Oddish!"

The grass pokemon threw the ball to the air, exploding in bright sunshine that illuminated the sunflower design of the Razor Leaves and the orange sparkles all over the stage. Making the crowd go wild.

"Using Stun Spore to stop both the petals and having a delayed effect on the Razor Leaf because of the force it was used with. Not to mention using the leaves to distribute the orange particles of the Stun Spore. Just to end it all with a bang of light that showered the whole stage with sunshine." I thought out loud. "I wasn't expecting that. Dawn has certainly grown up since she left home... must be Ash's influence."
"Gla-meow," my partner purred delightedly. Now he was sitting up on the sofa, paying attention to the T.V.

"She still has a long way to go," I told him.

As expected, she passed the appeal round and entered the battle round. She used Aipom for that one. There I noticed that she has not grown that much yet. I could clearly see her inexperience through it all, mostly winning the battles because of Aipom's previous experience with Ash. But I could still see her own fighting style, yet to be defined.

Still, it was more than I would expect from someone who only just began her journey. That she won her first ribbon in only her second contest is a statement of Ash's teachings. Especially, since when she had left, she had yet to understand the true nature of a coordinator. Yet here she was, accepting her first ribbon, taking one step closer to her dream. I have Ash to thank for that.

I decided to make some tea as I watched Dawn's interview. Every coordinator has one after winning a contest. There were a few questions about Ash, as expected, but Dawn answered them swiftly, giving the least amount of information, and changing the topic expertly. Ash must have trained her just in case.

The ringing of my Xtransceiver snapped me out of my thoughts. Surprisingly, the one who was calling me was not Dawn, but Kenny. Curiously, I answered the call. My daughter had only just finished her interview and would still need some time to shower and change before calling me.

"Mrs. Berlitz, hi. How are you doing?" The young boy looked annoyed, what was to be expected after losing, but still tried to look polite.

"I'm good. Thanks for asking Kenny. You did wonderfully." I answered. "May I ask, why did you call me? I believe it's something more than just a cordial call."

"It is," he replied. "I wanted to know why you are letting Dawn travel with someone who is on the same level of a Mater and is tasked with capturing criminals like Hunter J?! Isn't that dangerous!?"

So, that's why he was so annoyed. It wasn't because he lost but because he was jealous.

Honestly, when Dawn parted for her journey, I've never thought that I would rely so much, on a boy I never met, to keep her safe and help her out. At first, I was very worried. My daughter would in danger if she traveled with an Ace Ranger. Then again, she was in trouble before she even met said, Ace Ranger. Oh, how I had yelled at Professor Rowan. He had almost gotten my daughter killed! Thank Arceus Ash had been passing by!

So, while she would be involved in various issues, like the one with the wild Onix and the Bidoof, official matters like Hunter J's case, she is not aware of until after the matter. So, I found knowing that Ash is there for her to be quite a relief.

"Kenny, Ash is surrounded by danger, that is true." As I spoke, I saw Kenny perk up as if he was about to say: 'See?! I told you!' "But a pokemon journey is always surrounded by danger and Ash is capable of controlling said danger. He can keep himself, his pokemon, my daughter, and her pokemon safe." He withered at my explanation. "That's why I allow her to travel with him. Try not to be too hard on him, he is a good guy... one that has zero interest in my daughter." He turned bright red at my words and gave me a hasty goodbye, before cutting off the conversation. "Glameow, sweetie, what will we do with boys? They are a little slow sometimes." I giggled with my partner.

My Xtransceiver rang once more, this time it was my daughter the one calling. She greeted me as soon as I answered.

"Hi, mom!" She was beaming. "Look! We won!" Dawns showed me her ribbon case and her brand-new ribbon. My heart burst with happiness and pride: That's my daughter! "Did you see us?!"

"I did, sweetie," I answered her, gently. "You and your pokemon were wonderful."

How happy it made me say that. She now understood that winning is not something she does on her own, but something you do with your pokemon. Ash's most important lesson yet.

"Though I still have quite a few things to improve, especially my fighting." She told me, quite maturely. It seems that my surprise was quite clear on my face when she said: "I asked Ash to give me a review of my contest participation after I get disqualified or win. I know I won mostly because of Aipom's experience." I wanted to protest, tell her that it was her routine that passed round one and that she was the one that directed Aipom for the win, but it seems that she beat me for it once more. "But I also know that I worked very hard, and I showed great improvement. I only need to keep doing so and grow a little beat each training session with my pokemon!"

The way she spoke with such conviction and cheer... my heart just gave out for my precious and courageous daughter. I've never felt such pride before.

"Talking about Ash, where is he?" I asked her.

"He had to answer a call from home." Dawn's answer was simply... but it was her tone and expression that showed that something was going on.

I started to worry, not only for Dawn this time but for the wonderful boy that has taken such good care of my daughter. However, I also knew that this was something I should not and could not get involved with.

So, I just said: "Would you like to hear my review?"

"Yes!" Dawn beamed, forgetting her worries for a second.

But not me... I continue to worry in silence. That is the duty of a mother.