III Ash's P.O.V

"Thank you, Ash." Professor Rowan told me, as he re-entered the Lab. "Paul needed to hear that."

"Don't mention it," I replied. "I know that there are different kinds of trainers out there and I've learned my lesson about getting involved. As long as there is no abuse I won't try and... 'fix' the other's training methods. As much as I hate people catching and releasing pokemon because they don't fit their criteria... I am happy Paul did that."

"Why?" Dawn asked me, shocked.

"It is not something I would ever do or something I would advise people to do." I smiled at her. "But Paul's methods are too much for any pokemon who doesn't follow his ideology. If he had a pokemon who doesn't fit his criteria and kept it training him as he trains the other... that would be borderline abuse."

"Like with Chimchar," Dawn commented.

"Yes, like with him." I sighed. "I know for a fact that the only reason Paul kept him is that he is a Regional Pokemon. Otherwise, he would have released him a long time ago. Let's just hope he listens to me."

"Then, why don't you take Chimchar from him?" Dawn asked me, confused. "Professor Rowan already inscribed you to the Sinnoh League and entered you to the Sinnoh Ranger database."

"It's because he is not a bad trainer... he is simply lost and inflexible. He is set in a way and nothing else is going to change that. At least not now. Also, he doesn't abuse his pokemon. You've seen them, Dawn. Their fur or scales were shining, and they all look healthy, even Chimchar. The issue with Chimchar is that he is completely exhausted trying to keep up and not being able. If he keeps going like that he'll break, even if he is not abused." I explained to her, hating how my hands were tight in this situation. "Do you get it now?"

"I do," Dawn pouted. "But I hate it."

"Me too," I replied, with a tired smile- kneeling to pat Jolteon when she tried to comfort me. "You were fantastic out there, Princess. Your first battle outside the family and you crushed it!"

"Teon!" Jolteon exclaimed happily, tail wagging.

"You're going to Oreburgh City, right?" Professor Rowan asked. I nodded my head as I stood up. "Then why don't you both travel together? Jubilife City is on the way and there's a contest being held there soon."

"Are you sure?" I asked them both. "I am an Ace Ranger and trouble follows me everywhere I go. It will be dangerous."

"Being on my own will be dangerous." Dawn cut me off. "I almost died today," I noticed the Professor flinch. I felt slightly relieved, seeing that the Professor was really apologetic and won't be making the same mistake again. "I have a lot to learn. I realized today that though my dream is to be a coordinator I need to become strong to defend myself and my pokemon."

"Piplup!" I looked down at the water pokemon, who stood proudly next to his trainer nodding his head.

With such a bond from the get-go, how can I say no...

"Ah, ok. Let's travel together." I accepted, chuckling when Dawn exclaimed in celebration.

She's quite the excited girl, reminding me a lot of myself during my first journey. Excited and confident, knowing I'll win it all... how wrong I was. But at least, she seems much more down to earth and prepared than I was.

Saying our goodbyes to the Professor and his assistants we left for Jubilife City, getting to know each other better... and my fight.

"And that start vortex was so cool!" Dawn exclaimed excitedly, still going about my fight with Paul. "How did you get that idea?"