II Riley's P.O.V

"Ash!" Dawn exclaimed as she jumped on Ash.

Ash and I had spent most of the night training and educating Ash into the way of the aura. We only went to bed when the clock turned to four in the morning. No wonder Dawn woke up earlier than us today and was waiting for us in the cafeteria.

"You look quite perky this morning," Ash commented, with an amused smile.

Though, I could tell that more than anything he was relieved. We both were. Dawn at the moment is in a delicate state and with Zoey having left yesterday, we worried that it might have been too much for her. Especially, Ash, as an empath had a direct link to her emotional state.

"Zoey told me about this tournament happening today!" Dawn informed us, with a bright smile. "The Hearthome City Tag Battle Competition! Zoey thought it could be a good idea for me to participate and gain some confidence before I start participating in contests again. Will you enter with me?"

Internally I winced, knowing that Ash had plans with Champion Chyntia and Gym Leader Fantina.

"I'm sorry Dawn." Just as I expected Ash apologized with a grimace. "I have to do a follow-up with Chyntia and Reggie today, and the next two days I will be training Honedge and Polteageist with Fantina."

A follow-up? Is that what we are calling replacing the Lustrous Orb with a fake one? I chuckled.

Then, I turned to a down-spirited Dawn and offered: "What about me? Is it all right for me to join you?"

"Really?!" She rapidly perked up. "Yes!" She exclaimed before she rushed to find us a table.

"Are you sure?" Ash asked me, but he looked quite relieved with my offer.

"Yes. I adore Dawn. It'll be no issue." I replied. "Also, with you gone I'll have nothing to do... not to mention, it's better not to leave her on her own until she gets back on her feet."

"Thank you." The gratefulness in Ash's voice almost knocked me, if it hadn't been for Lucario supporting me.

We had breakfast and went our own way. However, my mind was not really in my conversation with Dawn. What I did was a necessity, otherwise, Ash would have lost his mind. But intertwining your aura with someone else's is a big thing. It is the equivalent of mixing souls. An act of such level of intimacy that sometimes even married couples do not perform. We normally reserve that to our Lucario partners who, unlike humans, know when and where to put limiters in the interaction.

That's why Lucario was there during the closing of Ash's aura canals. He was there for me, to limit the contact between Ash's and my auras. However, with Ash being an inexperienced empath, he overwhelmed Lucario's barriers and almost drowned me. It took all of my self-control and will to make a comeback and, do what I was there for, help him.

Though, the after-effects were still there. Especially, since I'm traveling with him. But that does not condone the emotions that I'm feeling for him. Even when I know it's only the partial bond speaking, and once it's gone so will these feelings. However, it did not make me feel any better about the fact that currently, I am crushing on a fourteen years old boy.

I sighed, as I registered myself into the competition, and then turned to Dawn with a forced smile: "Wel, let's get started."

The place was much bigger than I was expecting and with a huge crown. For a second I was worried Dawn would get a panic attack or something, but she only looked excited. It seems that she only relates contests to danger. It was a step forward, but it also made my heartache that something she loves with all her heart has become something she fears.

While we did not end up together, our partners were people we knew. I got Paul and Dawn got Conway.

"Ace Ranger Ketchum isn't here?" Was the first thing out of Paul's lips.

Then again, he was a Saint's fan. I was expecting something similar to happen.

"He is working with the champion and the gym leader," I replied. "I'm surprised to find you here. You don't seem the type of person to work with others."

His aura screams lone Absol. If anything it surprised me the strong connections with his pokemon. All connected by their love of solitude, independence, and strength. The complete opposite of Ash's bonds with his pokemon. But different does not mean wrong or bad.

Seeing the twisted expression I realized he was thinking something along the same line.

"You know... we each have our own way to bond with others. As long as no abuse happens and you respect the other's choices, there is no wrong way." I told him.

"Even if you lose?" He replied. "Even if the way you thought things worked is proven wrong, what happens to your beliefs then?"

I was surprised by how open he was acting. This was not the Paul, Ash and Reggie, told me about. Then again, he does look like someone whose world has been turned upside-down. He is in a vulnerable situation, I should be careful with what I say.

"Look, As told me about you and the interactions between both of you. In which moment did he tell you that the way you are training your pokemon is wrong?" I asked him

He looked at me startled, before narrowing his eyes at me: "What about Chimchar? Or evolution? Or the fact that I lost to Gym Leader Fantina and he won?"

"Chimchar is not a pokemon who has the same mentality as you and your pokemon. You knew that and you did the right thing releasing him. Ash has done the same too. What's wrong with that?" I answered him. "As for evolution don't be too hard on yourself. That is an issue that most of Sinnoh possess. The reason why Ash learned that lesson early is because of Pikachu, and the fact that during his first journey he caught various pokemon that did not wish to evolve. It is not like you would force evolution on a pokemon. Would you?"

"No, never." He replied, looking quite thoughtful.

Good, I mussed internally.

"As for losing, was that your training methods or your strategy?" I chuckled at his surprised expression. "Hitting hard will only get you so far. Especially against tricky pokemon types like ghosts and psychics."

"Ace Ranger Ketchum told me something similar before." Paul thought out loud. "That I need to be more flexible..."

"Ash did not win because of his strength, but because of his strategies," I told him with a smile. "You don't need to fight like him or train like him, but you do need to learn to be more... giving. Different does not mean wrong or bad. Are you abusing your pokemon? Hurting them? Starving them?"

"No!" He exclaimed, looking quite offended.

He is a good boy, I thought. If a tsunadere at that.

"Then do not worry. Your pokemon will tell you if they are unhappy. Believe me." I assured him. "Though, try to remember that they are your team and not just tools to achieve your objective. Also, be more careful when you release them. Doing so might affect the ecosystem and some of them might have forgotten how to live in the wild. Next time give them to another trainer or just leave them in the care of a Pokemon Center."

He nodded his head, looking more relaxed now. Happy about my good deed of the say and the pride I felt from my bond with Lucario, I turned towards the announcer. Now, I felt the same excitement as Dawn for this competition. It will be fun!