VII Ash's P.O.V

I've always been someone who wore my heart on my sleeve. I've never been afraid of sharing my emotions with others or being hurt. My policy has always been: Be as true and honest as you can. I live by this motto. My pokemon live by this motto.

However, never in my fourteen years alive, I would have guessed that it would come back to bite me in the ass.

As I linked hands with both, Riley and his Lucario, under the full moon, in the middle of the garden behind the Pokemon Center's training grounds. Dawn was not there, this being too personal for her to be involved. On the other hand, my pokemon and Riley's were there, forming a larger circle around us.

I could sense their unease and nervousness as if it was my own. Maybe it was. The only thing I was sure of, is how grateful I felt for having been sitting when it all began. The influx of emotions bombarding me was enough to leave me breathless. If I had been standing, I would have ended up on my ass.

"Relax," I heard Lucario's voice in my head.

Instead of relaxing, I could only think that Her Majesty will be furious about someone other than her, Slowking and Slowbro being in my head. She is very possessive.

"She seems to be quite the character," I was startled by Riley's chuckle.

"She is," I replied, weirded out. "This is so different from when my psychic pokemon enter my head."

"It's because this is not us connecting our minds," Lucario explained. "But our souls speaking to each other."

"Normally, I would be telling you not to be afraid and allow yourself to feel the aura of the world that surrounds you..." Riley trailed off.

"But you are not a normal case," Lucario continued. "You are so opened to everything and everyone around you, that it is drowning you."

"We are not telling you to close yourself, that would be impossible for an empath." Assured me, Riley. "But to focus, to choose one emotion, something, someone, and use it as an anchor. That way we will be able to entice your aura canals to close."

"What even does that mean?!" I asked exasperated. "Aura canals? Why close them? Don't I need to learn how to use it? How will I use aura if my canals are closed? What are aura canals?!"

"You see, aura canals are like the blood circulatory system for your soul. The same way a syringe is used to take blood, we have a faucet that allows us to take our aura out from our bodies to the world around us. We then learn to mold it and use it externally." Riley explained.

"The issue is that yours has been opened and pouring aura for a year now, it's overflowing. What you choose as your anchor will be what you'll later use to open and close your aura tap." Lucario continues. "Normally for aura guardians you use the bonds with your Lucarios to do so. We can open and close them at will, it's something biological for us."

"So, until I get my own Riolu I'll have to choose a replacement," I concluded, much calmer now that I had some answers.

The choice of looking for a Riolu of my own was not an easy one. I knew it will always hurt, knowing that I was not able to save Sir Aaron's Lucario. But I now know that he was never my Lucario and that I need one to help me be better for my pokemon.

So, I chose them. My pokemon. From my playful Pikachu and Jolteon to my responsible Bulbasaur and Pidgeot. My troublemaker Squirtle, my rebel Charizard, my sweet Meganium, my too cool Sceptile, all of them have a special place in my heart. I do this for them. The ones that give me the courage to move on and face my fears.

Suddenly, I could breathe with ease. I no longer felt like I was drowning... I was finally in peace.

I took a couple of deep breaths before opening my eyes and finding the smiling faces of Riley and Lucario. I could feel their palpable relief... wait, WHAT?!

"That will stay, you'll need to get used to it," Riley said, this time speaking normally. "You know how you always had this ability to understand pokemon and have them understand you without the need for words? Will, that's because you are an empath/"

"What does that mean?" I asked, confused.

"Aura is the representation of the soul. As people and pokemon are different, it's not hard to conclude that there are different kinds of aura. Different uses. " He explained. "The Blue Knight Order in Rota classified aura in four groups" Strength, Protection, Healing, and Empathy. Most belong to one group, some belong to two groups and in rare cases, they belong to three of them."

"Let me guess, I am one of those rare cases," I deadpanned, knowing very well my luck.

"No," Riley answered grimly. "You belong to all four, as The Chosen One."

"Yuppie!" I exclaimed drily.

"Yeah..." he replied, wincing in sympathy. "But for those with more than one group, there is one characteristic that is their main feature, the core of their being." He continued. "I belong to the groups: Strength, Protection and Healing. But it is Protection I excel at, and the group that leads my behavior and actions."

"For me is Empathy. That's why you call me an empath." I reasoned.

"Yes, but let's leave that for another day. For now, let's celebrate." Riley told me, before rapidly moving away with Lucario, as I was jumped by my pokemon.

For once the influx of their relief and happiness did not drown me. I felt myself reaching out for them and joining in their joy. I laughed under the beautiful moon, surrounded by my family.