IV Ash's P.O.V

I took a deep breath and sighed. I stretched my back and neck, closing my eyes as I took in the rays of sunshine.

Yesterday had been too close...

I shudder at the memory of Charizard bleeding out and passing out in front of me. I had failed them one more time. But this time it had almost cost me a member of my family.

'Master?' Espeon called me out, through our telepathic link.

I stopped looking at the sky, to turn my gaze towards my pokemon. There, in front of me, stood Pikachu, Jolteon, Honedge, Espeon, Feraligatr, Pidgeot, Primeape, Sceptile, and Meganium. The last two leaning against each other. They all had the same look of concern.

"I am sorry," I finally said. "I had failed you."

'What?!' They all exclaimed at the same time, with stunning expression.

'We were the ones that failed you!' Pikachu shouted. 'We should have protected you! Kept you from... from...'

'If anyone should be blamed is me!' The normally collected and calm Pidgeot shrieked, flapping her wings. 'My job was to take you and get you from the airship safe... I failed you...'

Tears started to fall from her eyes, making me heartache.

"Oh, no! Pidgeot, it was not your fault." I cried out, throwing my unhurt arm around her. "You did your best. Feraligatr saved me."

"He shouldn't have! We should have been strong enough not to have to rely on one of us evolving to save you." Primeape growled. "What worth was all this training if you still end up being thrown off a plane?!"

I looked at Primeape shocked by his words, then I looked around my other pokemon- who clearly shared his feeling. Did they really feel as if they had failed me? Then again, I did feel that I had failed them... Professor Oak is right, like trainer like pokemon.

When did I stopped looking at them and only focused on my misery? While I was moping about being a bad trainer they must have been wondering if they were good enough too. Because I would too if I saw my pokemon suffering in silence and not being able to help.

"I am... was childish," I confessed, gaining their attention. "I started my journey unprepared, knowing nothing about pokemon. Be it how to catch them or about type advantages. Heck, I didn't even know how to gain Pikachu's trust and friendship." I chuckled humorlessly. "I didn't train any of you properly, I could have hurt you guys... I did hurt Pikachu when I sent him against Lt. Surge. I practically abandoned Kingler, Muk, and the Tauros herd back at Professor Oak's ranch. It took me another two years to realize that and try to become a better trainer... but even then, it was not enough. I had to get better so I would not fail any of you again. But even then, I still failed you, Charizard ended up in surgery and Meganium didn't even tell me she was pregnant! What kind of trainer am I?!"

'The best!' Espeon was the one who finally spoke up, taking us all by surprise. 'Do you really think I would call anyone Master? You might possess my Poke Ball but if you had not gained my respect, I would have never called you that.'

'She's right, Master.' Honedge cut in. 'You might have failed back then, but you did not give up. You rose from the ashes, a new trainer. Your perseverance and the ability to be able to keep your mirth is what makes you a respectable and a worthy master.'

'Back then we were all children... we still are by age.' Pikachu finally spoke up, placing a paw on my knee. 'We all had a lot of learning... we experienced too much, which made us mature before we had to.'