IV Paul's P.O.V

I was training with Elekid when out of nowhere a Gligar crashes on me. What in the Distortion World?! I cursed in my head. My pokemon rapidly stood around me, ready to protect me from danger. Something that still takes me by surprise. A year ago, heck, a month ago that would have never happened. Only Torterra would have acted like that. Well, most of my pokemon reacted like that. Gliscor approached the Gligar and helped it... them up. They were both smiling and chatting excitedly. Slowly the rest of my pokemon relaxed and joined them. After a closer look, I recognized the Gligar as Ash's.

"Are you Ash's Gligar?" I asked, just to be sure. The Gligar, as expected, smiled dopey and nodded their head. "Is he in trouble?" I asked again, receiving a shake of their head. Of course, who would be able to give The Saint trouble? "Then how did you end up crashing here?" Gligar looked down, cheeks reddening, and flapped their wings as if they were trying to fly. "You got swept away by the current?" I inquired stunned.

Wasn't Ash supposed to be a flying expert?! I asked myself. Then again, Gligar and Gliscor glide more than fly. Maybe that's the issue?

"Gligar?!" I heard Ash calling out from above. Looking to the sky I found him riding a majestic Pidgeot. I want one of those, the thought came from nowhere. "There you are? Are you all right?" I jumped off the Pidgeot, giving me a heart attack. But, of course, Ash being the unbelievable guy he was, landed without issue, before rushing towards his pokemon. "Paul! What a surprise. How are you? Training hard?"

I looked at him, blinking stupidly. But, then again, who would blame me? The guy jumped off his Pidgeot from 30 feet and landed smoothly on his feet. Who does that?! I looked at my pokemon, wearing the same stunned expressions on their faces as I, and then at Ash's pokemon's faces. His Pikachu and Pidgeot looked done with it all, while Gligar looked at Ash with eyes in their eyes. I shook my head exasperated. Ash was such a contradiction, strong but soft, smart yet does so many dumb things, but never what you expect of him. One thing I've learned is to just go with the flow when he is involved.

"Yes, training. You guys are heading to Pastoria City?" I asked him, already knowing the answer.

"Yep, want to come with us?" He replied cheerfully. I simply nodded my head, already tired. Just go with the flow and don't think too hard about Ash's action, otherwise, you'll go insane. Pikachu skipped towards me and patted my leg with a sigh. "Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" Ash exclaimed.

"Thank you," I ignored the Ace Ranger and thanked his starter.

I returned all of my pokemon and hopped on the beautiful Pidgeot. For a second I was surprised by how defined her muscles felt, but then again that shows how strong a pokemon is. Ash returned Gligar and followed me on his pokemon with Pikachu. I rapidly held on to the Pidgeot's feathers, once we took flight. The speed in which the pokemon took such height was outstanding, and so was how fast she got us to the rest of Ash's group.

I seriously want one of these, the thought came back to my mind.

"Ash! Did you find her?" Dawn asked Ash worriedly. "Paul? What are you doing here?" She asked me with a beaming smile.

I unconsciously smiled back at her. Her cheerful demure was quite contagious. Not to mention, the fact that I felt very proud of her. She was the closest thing I've got to a friend and after all, she went through, seeing her back on the stage and reaching the final of such an important event was incredible. Who would have guessed this would have been my life? If someone would've told me a few months ago I would think of the same annoying rookie as a friend and I would be traveling from time to time with an Ace Ranger I see as a role model... I would have sent Torterra after them. But this journey has been an adventure. Since the moment I've met Ash, my whole world has been turned upside down by him and his friends. So many lessons were learned.

"The same as you, on my way to Pastoria City for a Gym Battle," I answered. "And yes, he found Gligar. She landed on my Elekid and me, while we were training."

"She?" She murmured stunned, before turning back to beaming. She quickly caught me in a hug, before releasing me and giving me a proud smile. "Then you've better have eaten, we're ready to go!"

I just sighed at her hyper activeness, not knowing from where did all that energy come from, before following her. I spent most of the trip silently observing the three of them. Dawn and Ash seem to bounce all the way, burning off that monstrous energy of theirs, not paying much attention to where they were going. Or at least, that was Dawn. Ash had constantly one eye on his surroundings, as did Pikachu, checking his PokeNav from time to time for directions. Riley kept a more sedated pace with his Lucario, smiling tenderly at both of them. Then Lucario said something and the roles were reversed, Ash approached Riley at a more sedated pace and both of them began talking about Aura. Pikachu and Lucario joined to comment from time to time... which I would have believed impossible just a few weeks ago.

What even is my life? I sighed internally.

"They do tend to do that," Dawn told me with a chuckle, as she joined my side. "Whenever Aura is mentioned, they get into their own little world. Then again, I don't believe someone who isn't an Aura Guardian would understand enough to join the conversation. By the way, I've been wanting to ask you something since Veilstone City... but I wasn't all quite there by the end of the visit."

I frowned at the reminder of her pale face and trembling body. As well as at the almost defeat we faced against Team Galactic. "What is it?" I replied.

"Why didn't you use your entire team? We would have had the advantage over them... at least, until before they released the swarm of Golbat." She inquired.

"My... my entire team?" I repeated the question, stunned by what I was being asked. "Of course, I would not use my entire team. Do you know how hard it is to keep track of every one of your pokemon when you are facing an enemy of that size with your whole team? It's very hard! Even with only half of my team, I was having issues, plus I had to keep track of your pokemon and what they were doing. Simply not send an attack to the same place as yours, accidentally neutralize an attack of yours, or waste energy blocking an attack you've already blocked. Why would you even ask that?"

"It's just that I've seen Ash train his pokemon like that a lot, and he is allowed to carry more than six! I just thought that experienced gym trainers knew how to do that." Dawn mumbled, blushing slightly when she realized what she had just said.

"Dawn... you need to learn to stop comparing other trainers with Ash." I sighed, shaking my head. "He is not normal."

If he can command and fight with a group of pokemon that size... his ability to multitask is outstanding. I thought, not wanting to think much about it, or I'd lose my head. Go with the flow Paul, go with the flow.

Luckily, the conversation was cut short as we reached Pastoria City. We rapidly headed towards the Pokemon Center and booked a room. I would have once been uncomfortable with sharing a room with so many people, if with anyone! But I've already camped with them and invited them to stay at my house, so things were different with them. However, once they invited me to join them at the Croagunk Festival, I said no.

There was a limit to everything.

I stayed at the Pokemon Center, trained, had dinner, a shower, and went to sleep early, before they got back. I had to be ready and rested for the Gym Battle tomorrow. I, at least, hope that there won't be a huge crowd waiting for us this time around. I would like for once to observe a Gym Battle of Ash's in peace. Especially, one that will be all the same type. Which pokemon will be stronger, Ash's Water-types of Wake's.

I can't wait to see it.