I Chimchar's P.O.V

I sat at the table of the Pokemon Center's Business Room, besides the rest of my team and Ash, as Nurse Joy and Chansey checked on Charizard.

"Dad, why are we in the Business Room and not the usual room?" Pupitar asked Pikachu, who had decided to leave his usual spot-on Ash's shoulder to be beside us.

"Because Ash has become a very import figure for the public and criminal organizations, he has become their protector or nightmare." Bulbasaur ended up being the one who answered, as Pikachu was too focused on the conversation between Ash and Nurse Joy. "He has always been that, but now the public knows about it, and so he has to portray a certain image. Not only to calm down the civilians but also to keep the poachers and criminals away. If they knew Charizard had been hurt, we might have been attacked by them."

"How ironic..." I muttered.

"What do you mean by that?" Turtwig asked me.

"I mean, I used to have another trainer before Ash." I flinched at the memory of Paul and his team. The pain from my time their still fresh. "Being an Ace Trainer is something P-Paul craved more than anything. I've lost count of how many times I've heard the story of how Reggie, Paul's brother, won the Lily of the Valley Conference and became the town's hero by catching a poacher on the town's borders, on his way back. He trained us day and night until we fainted from exhaustion, telling us that we should thrive to be as strong as his brother's pokemon. Yet, when he traded me, I ended up with an Ace Ranger whose pokemon are even stronger than Reggie's. A hero, not only to his town but to four regions. I've learned more from Ash and Charizard than I did from Paul and Reggie. I... think that Paul doesn't really know what being an Ace Trainer entails. The kind of responsibility it comes with."

"Neither did Ash," Pikachu's words snapped me out of my reminiscence. "He has always been one to act before thinking. Befriending and helping pokemon and humans alike, anyone in need was fair game for Ash's charms. Even while fighting Team Rocket, Magma and Aqua we never truly understood the severity of the roles we played. It was only when we were given the titles of Ace Ranger and Ace Ranger's Pokemon that we understood the weight that was placed on our shoulders." Everyone was looking at Pikachu in shock, even Bulbasaur looked surprised. The usual happy-to-go mouse pokemon had a solemn expression on his face and looked as if he held the weight of the world on his shoulders. "I stayed up with Ash many nights after Head Ranger Charles left the ranch, reading the rules book and code of behavior of the rangers. Even more, nights quizzing our knowledge." He turned to look at me and I was taken aback at the seriousness in his eyes. "No one is prepared to be in charge of saving lives, Chimchar. It is only those who step up and try their best that make it in this business."

"Well, Charizard is as good as new." Nurse Joy's voice brought us back. We turned back to find a bandage-free Charizard and a smiling nurse. "You did a good job with his stitches and helping him get back in shape. Though, from what I've heard he still has a little more before he can go all out in a fight again. Take it one more week easy and he will be ready."

"Thank you, Nurse Joy." Ash smiled at the pink-haired nurse, as she left the room, carrying the bandages away.

Chansey followed her trainer, but stopped by the table on her way out, to give as a small bow and a: "Thank you for your service."

Her words resonated deep in my heart. So, that's what Pikachu meant. The weight of the knowledge that we were tasked to save and protect lives. That it is our service. I looked around to notice that everyone wore the same expression of solemnly now, even Charizard and Ash, who even if he didn't talk our language, seemed to understand what Chansey had said.

"Well, guys, congratulation on our first Sinnoh badge!" Ash achieved to lighten the mood with a cheerful shout. Soon we were all celebrating with him as if the solemn mood from before was all a lie. "Dawn and I are planning on staying in Oreburgh City for another three days to rest and do some tourist stuff. There are so many things to do here." He told us. "During those three days you'll all rest and recover, so we can go all out in our training later." Another new thing I learned from coming to Ash's team, resting helps your training. "Except for Frogadier, we will be having private sessions to help you get used to your new body. Congratulations on your evolution buddy!"

"Thank you, Master." Frogadier bowed, but you could see the excitement on the usual serious pokemon.

"It was finally your time," Bulbasaur nudged the water-pokemon playfully.

"It was as Master Charizard said, once Master and I connect as one and learn to fight together, I would have what I need to finally evolve," Frogadier replied, solemnly- that mood suited him more than Pikachu.

"Unfortunately, after those three days, it will be time to change the roster once more." We all groaned at Ash's next words, who simply smiled sadly at us. "I know, guys. But believe me, if I could carry you all with me, I would." He promised us. "Bulbasaur, Frogadier, and Honedge will return to the ranch. Charizard will stay until I think he is ready back on shape." I could see Charizard wanted to complain about it, but Ash cut him off with a hug. "I am just glad you are ok now..." Charizard looked guiltily at our trainer's words. "I promise you that once we are both ready, I'll let you fly all the way back to the Charizard Valley on your own. It will be good stamina training." Now my senpai looked excited at the prospect of flying all the way back. "Our next gym is the one in Eterna City, which is a grass-type gym. This time around I'll only use new pokemon, which will be: Glaceon, Turtwig, and Chimchar. I'll also bring Sylveon and Espeon from the ranch."

"Glaceon is coming?!" Jolteon asked excitedly.

"Oh, yeah! I am ready!" I shouted, pumped.

"Bring it on." Turtwig simply said, with an excited calmness which would only be possibly achieved by a grass-pokemon.

"I see that all of you are excited," Ash chuckled. "Good, because from now on things will only get harder."

If only then we had truly known how true Ash's words were.