Chapter 52

I think I went in and out of consciousness for days. There were beeping sounds and hushed voices and gentle touches, searing pains and numbness and shouting. In my mind I saw only Zagen with the blade in his hand.

My leg.

Was it gone?

Where was Finn?

What happened?

I don't know when it was that I was finally able to open my eyes and keep them open, but at last I managed it. My throat felt like sandpaper and my body felt immobile and sore. Where was I? The hospital again. I could tell by the lights above me only because I could not turn my head. Everything hurt too much.

"Weylyn!" said a voice next to me. I tried to turn to look but I grimaced and kept my head still. The face belonging to the voice came closer and I was able to turn my head a little to see my Finn beside me. He had bloodshot eyes and looked like he hadn't showered for days, but he was still so beautiful.

My angel.

"F...Finn," I croaked and he brought me a glass of water and shushed me. I wanted to talk to him more but then I felt unconsciousness bring me under once again.

I remember I kept waking up like that for more days afterwards. I saw many people for brief moments: Alexis, Gia, the commanders all in one go once, except for Niamh the Beta. At some point Alexis was the only one here with no Finn and I got scared and asked if he was okay. She told me they had finally convinced him to go home briefly just to shower and change clothes. When I woke up a few hours later he was there again and for the first time, I was able to reach out with my fingers and he quickly grabbed mine and held on tight.

Another day after that, I was finally able to stay awake for a significant period of time and my body didn't hurt anymore except my leg which felt sore but also... odd.

"Finn," I rasped out. He was sat awake next to me, holding my hand which he held tighter when he knew I was awake again.

"Hi love," he said softly. "Want water?" I nodded and he helped bring a glass to my lips which he did every time I was awake long enough to drink something. I gulped down the whole thing and then Finn put the glass aside and asked how I was feeling.

"B...better than earlier," I replied. "What happened?"

Finn sighed before he began to speak. "We found you as quick as we could. We had to sort out all the wolves that attacked on the territory first because I couldn't save you on my own and neither Alpha Brudus or Maeve would come help me get you without protecting the pack first. I'm sorry love, I wish I was strong enough to get you on my own." He looked so sad then.

"You saved me. You're strong and you're amazing," I told him. He nodded unconvincingly but I could work on that with him later. "Did... did something happen to Alex? I feel like I remember something, but I don't know it's all a little hazy."

"He's... he's dead." Finn could not look me in the eyes as he said that and I'm not sure I could have looked at him anyway with the shame and guilt that rocked my body. This was my fault, all my fault. "Robin killed him. I ran back to the centre of the territory after you were taken to get help and I recognised her wolf. Alex was just frozen, maybe it was all the bad memories and how weak she always made him feel. She attacked him and he...he didn't do anything. He was too in shock. And then he was dead. I killed her right away but Goddess hearing Gia's cries when she realised her mate was dead...and Alexis..." He squeezed my hand tighter as if I may be the one dying and he the one crying at his lose.

"Then, we umm. We managed stop all the intruders and I got them to assemble a team to come after you. You weren't on pack Cero land when we followed your blood trail and your scent, it was some unmarked territory with a few small, abandoned buildings. Brudus ran after Zagen as soon as we found you guys. They fought and Brudus won, killing Zagen, but he sustained a lot of injuries. Really bad injuries. He's still recovering but he'll have a limp now and his arm won't be as mobile is what I've heard." So, because of me, I had gotten the Alpha so hurt in ways he may never recover from. At least he was still alive but that was just another thing I might never be able to forgive myself for.