48: The Big Sister I Never Had

"Luke!" I called at the boy pacing up and down the back aisle of the hospital's waiting room. He bit on his thumb nail for a few moments and then, stopped in his tracts on hearing his name.

The moment his eyes found mine, I felt my heart break. His eyes were red and swollen from crying and he looked so broken.

I walked up to him and before I could ask him what was wrong, he pulled me into his arms and began to sob. I was quite surprised by his action but I soon wrapped my arms around him, patting his back softly.

"It's my fault!" He cried. "It's all my fault! I shouldn't have left her there!" He pulled back and wiped away his tears as his sobs subsided.

He walked over to one of the many seats in the back and settled down, placing his head in his hands. I settled down beside him, not knowing what to say to him as I had no idea what the problem and why were we in a hospital.

I had been surprised when Luke had called me earlier on. We weren't close so I hadn't expected him to call me ever, especially at a time like this. I had given him my phone number after Derrek's accident, telling him to update me on Derrek's condition but I didn't think he would have called me for anything unrelated.

"Cassidy and I had a fight." Luke said after a few minutes of silence. He lifted his head and sniffed a few times before speaking again. "She was upset and she was shouting for me to stop the car. I tried to calm her down but she didn't listen." He paused, taking in a deep breath and I noticed his eyes tearing up again. Something really bad must have happened to his girlfriend for him to react like this. I was starting to get worried. I had only met Cassidy once but she had seemed nice.

"Is Cassidy okay?" I asked as he stayed silent for a moment, staring in the distance, probably lost in his thoughts.

"I shouldn't have left her on the side of the road at that time of the night. I was angry but that was no excuse. If I had stayed with her, maybe she wouldn't have been—" He choked on his words and shook his head. "She was robbed shortly after I left. There was a struggle and she fell and hit her head on the concrete. The idiots just left her bleeding out on the street."

"Oh my God!" I gasped. That was horrible. This was why I was so scared to move around alone at night. The fear of getting attacked by bandits or snatched by kidnappers had always been a big fear of mine. It was frightening.

"If anything happens to her, I won't be able to forgive myself." He blamed himself for what happened to her and I could tell the guilt was eating at him.

"Nothing will happen to her, Luke. She'll be fine." I tried to assure him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder and giving it a little squeeze. He nodded and cleaned away the tear that rolled out from his left eye.

"I'm sorry I called you out here. I was scared and no one else was picking up." He apologized, turning to me for the first time since I arrived.

"You don't have to apologize, Luke. You can call me anytime." I gave him a small smile which he tried to return before turning away from me. "Have the doctors said anything?"

"They won't tell me anything because I'm not family." He sighed. "I called her brother a while ago. He'll be here soon."He began to sob again and buried his head in his hands to muffle his cries.

I felt tears sting at my eyes as I was reminded of the dreadful night when Derrek had that accident. I was terrified that I was going to loose him and I thought I was going to loose my mind then. Luke must have been so hurt.

"Luke!" A voice called and I looked up to see a tall, plump and dark man approaching us. The look on his face scared me and I was worried for Luke in that moment. "What did you do to her!" He yelled as he stormed towards Luke who looked very frightened.