57: Selfish Reasons

A/N:

Thanks for the 10k reads, lovelies! I'm so grateful for your votes, comments and support. It means a whole lot to me. I love you guys ❤️❤️❤️

Derek gave me a small smile as I handed him a hot cup of tea. He had just taken a hot shower in the bathroom of the guestroom and was now clothed in my brother's hoodie and sweatpants. He had been dripping wet and shivering when we had gotten into the house from the rain and I felt bad for him. I had caught a little cold as well but I became warm as soon as I threw on my hoodie.

"Thank you." He said gratefully as he took the cup from me. He took a sip and gave a satisfied sigh.

"Weren't you taught not to play in the rain?" I teased as I took a seat on the bed beside him and he gave a small laugh.

It became pretty quiet after that and I stared at the wall, fiddling with my fingers as Derrek drank his tea. His words echoed in my head and gave a heavy sigh. He had said that he wasn't really married to Candice, so, that meant Rachel's article was full of lies. I felt somewhat relieved that he wasn't really married to Candice but that didn't change anything. I needed to get Derrek out of my mind. It didn't matter that he had his memory back now. We couldn't go back to pretending we were engaged. That ship had crashed and burned already, so, here we were in this unmarked territory and I had no idea what to make of it. I had felt the urge to say something to set things on a different course but what?

It wasn't like I was ever going to tell him that I had fallen for him sometime while we were playing fake fiancés. I didn't think I could have handled it if he chose to reject me which he was certainly going to do. He had said so himself the last time he was here that he loved Candice and was going to marry her. Although today he had said things were rocky between them because she had admitted to providing false information to a journalist with the aim of discrediting me but he never said it was over forever between them. 

I awkwardly played with my fingers as Derrek continued with his tea but then, I decided to get myself a cup of tea as well instead of sitting silently in the awkwardness. I took a few steps towards the door and Derrek called my name, causing me to halt.

"Tiara, I've done a couple of things that I'm not proud of in my life but the worst, by far, was roping you into my mess." Derrek said and I felt him come up behind me. I took in a deep breath and crossed my arms over my chest. "There are things that you deserve to know." He said, placing a hand on my shoulder and slowly but surely, I turned around to face him.

"Go ahead." I motioned for him to speak and he nodded as he took in a deep breath.

"I could go on and blame everything on Candice but that would be a total lie because I had a part to play in this, before and after I lost my memory and I am so sorry, Tiara." Derrek apologized, his eyes pleading for forgiveness as he stared into mine. He looked so sincere and I wanted to reach up and caress his face but I stopped myself. "I will fully understand if you chose to hate me after this."

I sighed and returned to my former position on the bed, then, I slouched my back and stared at the ground. I got the feeling I would not have liked what Derrek had to say.

"We didn't meet by accident, Tiara. I knew who you were before the night we met." Derrek confessed and I glanced up at him in shock.

"Ehn?"

"Candice and I targeted you on purpose, for our own selfish reasons."

*

"Oh my God!" I screamed as I spotted Ziora rolling her luggage in my direction. "Zizi!" I rushed towards her and attacked her with a hug.