Chapter 15

I was waking to the locker rooms when coach caught my arm," Smith before you suit up, I just wanted to let you know that you're starting."

I looked at coach with my mouth wide open," Wait really?"

" Suit up Smith," With that I practically ran into my locker room.

I threw my gear on, shoulder pads, girdle, elbow pads, knee pads, socks, my jersey and my skates. My hands were aching after tightening the laces. I grabbed my gloves and my stick when Mason knocked on my door. I pushed open the door that joined the two locker rooms. All the boys were dressed and still messing with their sticks.

" Alright, we just need to keep our heads. And no suicide plays please," Mason said," We could actually win this for once." The buzzer went off alerting all of us that it was time to step on the ice.

My two wingers were surprisingly Cooter and Mason, though the both of them work better as wingers than centers. On D we had a rookie, Gregory, and our number one defensive player Travis.

My heart jumped when I heard the words indicating that I was starting, the starting lineup for the Lightning. One by one they started announcing us, " forward number 24, Joshua Mason, forward number, 28 Coty Bruener, Center number 82 Callahan Smith." We all skated up to center Ice and faced the flags. They played both the national anthem and the Canadian one.

We all skated to the bench to talk game strategy. I was basically going to have a big ol' target on my back. I'd be lucky if I made it out alive. I sized up their team. My get had a lot of smaller players, but really fast ones. As well as this huge guy that looked like a freight train. I was so going to die.

" Don't play scared Smith," Cooter reminded me as we skated to the face off circle.

" Easier said than done Cootes," I mumbled.

When you play scared you get hurt, everyone knows that. You have your head down, you try and stay out of the way, and you get killed. That's just how it is, that's how it's always been.

I couldn't afford to get hurt, no way. Not this time, not right now. When we get back home, yeah maybe then.

We played out the 20 minute period and returned to our lockerooms. I was allowed to chill with the guys since the worst they could do is take their jerseys off.

" That was horrible, the worst period I've ever seen out of you guys," Coach yelled, all our head were down, looking at the floor," I get it, you're here at Lake Placid, it's scary, but pull it together you Pansies."

I swallowed and sunk down on the bench, he was right. That sucked, but there wasn't much we could do, we were being killed. We all thought there wouldn't be much composition till we all pulled up.

" What's wrong with you Coty? Upset you got drilled?"

Cooter gulped and but his bottom lip, no doubt trying not to say something he'd regret. Coach kept lighting into all of us, only making us feel worse.

" And you Callahan!" He yelled," I expected so much more out of you! You want to be a hockey player! I don't see that when I look at you on the ice. I see a little girl playing dress up, and lying to herself. You think you could take it out there, but obviously you can't."

I shot up, dropping my stick that was in hand," You want me to be a hockey player? Last time I checked, in the one that would do anything for this sport! I gave up everything for this team! I AM a hockey player!" I screamed.

Some on the guys joined in, till we were all yelling. We were too focused on proving coach wrong that we didn't have anything to loose in the second period. Just as well too, because in that moment we all became a family on the ice. People putting aside any conflict that they'd had with another, to beat the Canadians in their own game.

The third came round, we were still down by one, with three minutes to go. So coach called a time out, rightfully so.

" You guys did exactly what I wanted you to. I only need two more goals, and then we have the rest of the day. I promise, if you can pull this out, it'll be the best thing for you," Coach said looking up at the clock.

The buzzer went off, and the third line skated out. The rest of us took out places on the bench, none of us really said anything. We were all on edge.

Once the third line came off, me, Mason and Cooter went at it.

" Point point point!" I yelled.

I watched as Mason set the puck up to our pointer, he took the shot. It was deflected but in a way that Cooter and I could pop it it.

"YES!" We all went into our little huddle and skated over to our goalie to make him feel included too.

" LIGHTNING GOAL! Scored by number 28 Coty Bruner, assisted by number 82 Callahan Smith, that's Bruner from Smith," the announcer said.

" Good job Cootes," I smiled tapping the top of his helmet.

I watched as the second line went out, and almost repeated out previous actions. We could actually win this. My line went back out, I was skating into the zone, looking for either a clear shot or pass to one of my guys. I crashed the net, and took the shot. I heard the buzzer go off, but I didn't have much time to celly due to a hit after the whistle.

I went flying, I hit the ice in such a way that I couldn't breathe. I heard Coach yell something, along the lines of something I can't repeat. Cooter went after the guy, and threw a punch at him. Once by one both benches emptied and joined the fight. I tried getting up, but I just hurt too much to even move. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think. I felt like I was a big hunk of stone. I rolled over, and tried to get up, but my knees and arms gave out, causing me to fall face first back onto the ice. 

I heard Parker, I knew he was right next to me. I could feel his hand on my back, but he sounded like he was miles away.

" C'mon Smith, you gotta work with me here, where does it hurt?" Parker pleaded. 

" My wrist," I whimpered," and my head, I think I hit it too hard."

" Okay, Mason, Cooter, help me get her up," I felt myself being lifted off the ice, followed by cheers and the slamming of sticks.  I didn't feel like they should be cheering, if anything, they should still be beating the crap out of that kid.