Chapter 51

I looked at all of the boys on the ice. They couldn't see me since I was hiding in my office. I wanted to see what they had before I went out. Conrad and Kyler were out working with players, getting them to run basic drills.

I grabbed my clipboard and pushed away from my desk. It was go time. The guys were talking a break, asking when the actual coach was getting to the rink.

"Your coach is already here," I told them walking into the ice," My name is Callahan Smith, I'll be your coach for this season. If you have a problem with the fact that I am a woman, I suggest you get the hell off my ice. If you work hard, you will be rewarded. However, should you disrespect me, the other coaches, or your teammates you will be benched or kicked off my team. I won't take it easy on any of you, in fact my job is to train you for everything that comes within and outside of these walls. For those of you who'd like to leave, you're free to do so now."

I watched a couple of kids skate off, and to the lockeroom. But a good majority of them stayed. I glanced over at Con and Kyler and smiled, we were doing this.

"If you're wondering why I'm coaching, and what qualifies me, look around you," I said," Every one of those banners has my name on it. And honestly, the trophy out front is just about all I need."

I nodded at Conrad and he nudged Kyler," Alright, three on, let's go."

I leaned against the boards and looked at my clipboard. I checked off all of the numbers that were here, and watched to see who was worth a second glance. Most of these guys were third or fourth line at best with their old teams, but that was only because no one wanted to give them a chance.

"Hey Conrad, but 45, 3, and 87 on a line," I told him," I want to see what they can do. Throw 12 and 37 on D against them."

I watched the new line work together. The chemistry was great honestly, these boys must've played together before. There was no way they hadn't.

"7, go with 63 and 4," I yelled writing something down. 

"All do respect Coach, but I think you ought to keep me with 34," He said shyly.

I motioned for him to come over and glanced at my clipboard to find his name," Why is it so important for you to stay with uh, Tyler Morris?"

"Well, Ty, he goes by Ty, can be a handful. He often lets his temper get the best of him. Ma'am, I'm one of the only one who knows how he plays well enough to keep him calm. He's a great player, he just needs help sometimes," He shrugged.

"You're his Mason," I said quietly," You two can stay together. Welcome to the team, Jordon."

"Really?" He asked in disbelief.

"Don't make me regret that decision," I told him," Get back out there."

**
I took off my glasses and rubbed my eyes. I'd been staring at the same sheet of paper for hours. I couldn't seem to get the combination right, I had plenty of boys that were beyond good enough, but I didn't care about just talent. If there was one thing I learned from Coach Cartwright, it was that you could have all of the talent in the world, but if the team didn't work well together it didn't matter.

I smiled at the picture of Coach, he'd come to watch one of my first college games. I'd been so nervous I could've thrown up, but I wanted to make him proud. He'd come to see one of the first games I coached too. Somehow, having my phsydo father around made it easier.

I glanced over to the rink, no one was here, and open skates didn't start for another week. I grabbed my old skates from the corner and laced up. I needed to clear my head, and nothing helped me do that better than skating.

I hit the ice and took off. I hadn't really skated much since I stopped playing. Mostly because I couldn't skate for six months, thanks to the concussion that ruined my hockey career. It took a while before I was comfortable on the ice again, a couple years actually.

"Hey, aren't you supposed to be picking a team?" Coty asked stepping onto the ice.

"I needed a break," I said stopping right in front of him," I'm having trouble getting my list together."

"Ah, I see," He replied," Can I be of any help?"

"Not unless you can come up with a way that I won't have to cut anyone," I sighed.

"Babe, you'll have to cut a couple people," He said grabbing my hand," It's just how it goes."

"But they're all so good Coty," I explained," They all have some uncanny ability and I can't do it."

"Alright c'mon," he said pulling me off the ice," We'll figure it out."

I grabbed my skate guards and threw them on. Coty and I walked into my office and started to comb through all of the players. I'd called previous coaches for a couple of them, and asked how they were in regular season.

"Now this kid, he's got so much talent, and natural talent at that, but he's a head case," I signed.

"Tyler Morris huh? Based off of what the guys were telling me the other day, he's you in male form."

"That's what worries me," I told him," I know how he's going to play, and I know that he could be great, but I don't know if I can turn him around enough."

"What if I helped?" He questioned.

"You have your own career to worry about!" I reminded him," You can't possibly keep up with your own schedule, and take on temperamental teenager at the same time."

He shrugged," I do have days off, Callahan. Might as well spend them here, helping you out."

"You are impossible," I laughed.