Chapter 21

After my very long talk with Coach Cartwright about next season and everything, I couldn't wait to call my family, mainly Charlie. He and I ended up talking for a solid three hours about everything, by then it was well after twelve. So the two of us said goodbye and I went to bed, knowing all too well that 5:30 would come far sooner than it should.

I was tight of course. Parker came banging on my door within what felt like minutes of falling asleep. So in normal Callahan style, I rolled back over and fell back asleep.

"Callahan  I swear to god if you don't get up we're  leaving you here!" Parker yelled outside my door for the third time.

" Okay, I'm up!" I yelled,"Jesus."

"Nope just me Cally," he laughed," And by the way, it's already 6:45 so I'd hurry if I were you."

I shot up out of bed ready to kill him," You let me sleep that long, Parker I swear to god!"

"You're the one who fell back asleep, don't try and blame this one on me,"He replied still standing outside my door,"How I'd hurry up and get ready so I wouldn't get left behind. Oh and wear the warm-ups, Coach's orders."

I then started to scramble around the hotel room. My main task was throwing everything I brought with me in the right bags and changing out of my pajamas into our team warm-ups. I didn't have time to shower or anything sadly, but knowing my teammates, they didn't either. With five minutes to seven I finally had everything packed and was running trying to get to the elevator with everything. Lucky for me though, all of my hockey equipment was packed up on the bus last night, along with the rest of the teams. When the elevator reached the lobby, I had enough time to run by and grab a doughnut, among other things, and run out to the bus. I looked around and didn't see coach, and judging by all the of the boys cheering he wasn't out there yet. See the one rule is, be on the bus before Coach or you're screwed.I smiled and tossed my stuff in the luggage hold and run onto the bus, joining the rest of my team.

"Nice of you to join us Smith," Mason laughed.

"Slept in, what can I say?" I laughed taking the empty row near the middle of the bus.

"That's always your excuse," Connor pointed out.

Before I had time to reply Coach walked on followed by Parker. I could tell just by looking at Coach that he was not in a good mood this morning, maybe he was regretting this whole early morning thing all week.

"Alright boys," He stopped and looked at me remembering I was also part of the team," And Callahan, we're off to Canada, please try not to do anything that might get us deported please."

With that he closed the doors sat in the drivers seat and we were off. While all of the boys were buzzing with excitement I just wanted to go upstairs and sleep. But I was too tried to even move. About an hour into the drive Cooter came over, I'm guessing to talk but honestly once again, I just wanted sleep.

"Is this seat taken?" He questioned.

"Not if you'll let me sleep at some point," I mumbled trying to fix my pillow that I had wedged up between me and the window.

He laughed and sat down and pulled me over so my head was resting on his shoulder," I'm sorry about yesterday, even if you did overreact a little."

"I know you are, and yes I did overreact," I replied trying to stay awake.

"So are we all good?" He questioned.

"Sure whatever," I mumbled.

~~

I tugged on the laces of my skates once more, and made sure everything was nice and tight. I looked at my jersey that hung on the hanger next to me. I was getting back on the ice. This was happening. Mason banged on the door that connected the locker rooms. I grabbed my jersey and pulled it on before grabbing my helmet and stick.

I took a deep breath and walked over to the boys locker room. The guys were already getting amped up. This would be one of our hardest games of the season, but also one of the best. My heart was pounding, I longed for the feeling of the ice under my skates again.

"Already guys, you know how this goes. Keep your head up, and play a clean game," Mason instructed," Callahan especially you. Do you understand me?"

"Sir yes sir," I said giving him a solute.

"Good. We know how they play, they head hunt and fight for the trash goals. Frasier, Martin you guys just keep up the defense. Same goes for the rest of you. We can win, but only if we play our game," he kept on going and going till the warning buzzer went off," Alright, who's ready to kick some Canadian butt?"

We all started chanting 'USA' because we're all idiots, and in that moment extremely patriotic. One by one we all threw our helmets on and lined up at the door. I brought up the rear, so Mason, Cooter, and I would be the last on. Just like it used to be. I couldn't stand still as I waited to get on the ice. It was like my body had kicked into over drive and was ready to do whatever it had to.

"Cally, just play your game okay?" Mason questioned before I stepped on.

I gave his helmet a slap and told him the same thing before bolting on. The feeling of the ice back under me was one I had missed more than I thought I would. After warm ups I sat on the bench waiting for Coach to let me out.

The game was going as expected wit this team, it was an absolute thug fest. I couldn't sit still. My whole body tingled like the ice was a magnet pulling me towards it. The ref wasn't calling much, even if it was head contact. As the game went on my blood started to boil. Coach wouldn't let me out on the ice, for fear of me doing something stupid. Not that I could blame him. But when Mason came limping back to the bench, he didn't have much of a choice.

"Smith go!" He yelled.

I jumped the wall the moment Mason made it to the bench and took off. Cooter was stuck in the corner trying to get the puck out, and seeing as I was the closet I made my way over to help him. It was him against two other guys at the time, but they got a tad confused when a girl joined in on the fun.

"Thought you could use some help," I laughed shoving one of the guys trying to get him away.

"You don't belong down here," One of them sneared," Go back to your tea party."

" Funny," I said looking at the name on his jersey," Your brother said the same thing last year, and that was before I kicked his ass," with that I freed the puck and wrapped back around the net.  The goalie, who wasn't expecting that, was out of position giving me the perfect opportunity to score. Flicking my wrist, I sent the puck into the back of the net.

As Cooter and I skated back towards the bench, I turned to look at the kid from the corner," You were saying?"

The jumper the wall and threw his stick on the ground like a little two year old. Man this is going to be fun.